Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » The Sponge?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Sponge?
Krampus
Neophyte
Member # 46950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krampus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told that the contraceptive sponge was pulled off the shelves in the USA a couple years ago, at the same time I've been told they can be purchased at a discount at planned parenthood?

I'm wondering what's going on, as I'd like to buy some but the only sponges I find in drug stores are of the cleaning variety. I could try looking it up, but scarleteen never fails me when it comes to accuracy, so could someone here fill me in please?

Posts: 16 | From: The Kingdom of Hella (N. California) | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sponge in the US has gone back and forth a lot since it came out; this has been primarily about financial issues the manufacturer -- Today is the one that distributes sponges here -- has had.

However, the manufacturer states some pharmacies do still carry them here, namely, CVS, RiteAid and Walgreens. And Planned Parenthood's site does say they have them available, though that may vary from branch to branch.

Best bet? Make some phone calls, calling those pharmacies if either is near you and your local Planned Parnthood affiliate. With pharmacies, don't forget that if someone doesn't carry something, you can also always ask if they can/will special order it. [Smile]

[ 06-27-2010, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67046 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krampus
Neophyte
Member # 46950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krampus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yaaay! Happy news! You just got a couple of points above the morning news program.

Thanks so much, I'll definitely make those calls. I'm trying to use the buddy system that's described on this website (I already have male condoms) which is why I'm trying to get sponges in the first place. So, thanks for that article and the info!

Posts: 16 | From: The Kingdom of Hella (N. California) | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.