Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » How to take the Pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to take the Pill
Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smiley64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am on ortho tri cyclen and I had a few questions about how to take it. I started my period on teusday, but waited until today ( sunday) to take it, as directed. However, I have a difficult time swallowing pills. So today when I took my first one, I put it in some bread and was able to swallow it alright. After that I drank a considerable amount of water and ate breakfast. Is there any criteria I Should follow for what i drink or eat directly after taking the pill each morning? Also they say that vomiting and diarrhea can effect the effectiveness of the pill. I'm assuming this isn't including normal urination or bowel movements no matter how soon after taking it? Also in the instructions it says you only have to use a back up method if you start on the sunday after your period, but you don't have to if you start on the first day of your period. I'm just curious but why does a few days make that much difference in immediate effectiveness?
Posts: 169 | From: usa | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smiley64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
any advice\answers? I just want to make sure there's nothing wrong with how I'm taking them before I take too many more, in case I am doing something wrong that would make them ineffective. (Like putting them in bread and drinking alot of water afterwards.)
Posts: 169 | From: usa | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry this was missed over Smiley. When taking the pill, taking it with break and water is perfectly fine. The reason they say about vomiting and diarrhea is because with either it can leave the body before it's had a chance to be broken down - which means you have a pill that didn't get into your system to take effect.

Generally with Sunday Start, it's recommended you use back up one full cycle (it can be effective as early as a week, but there's no way of knowing if it's working for you yet or not, so it's suggested a full cycle to allow your body to adjust).

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

Is it also alright to put the pill in something such as bread and take it that way? I have been putting the pill in a piece of bread and rolling it into a little ball. I know it sounds stupid, but if I know it's just a pill I can't make myself swallow it..

[ 06-17-2010, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Smiley64 ]

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, that's perfectly fine because the bread will be broken down as will the pill. And plenty of people have to take it with some type of food anyway to alleviate nausea, so no worries. And talking to someone that also can't swallow pills, I promise the bread thing doesn't sound odd at all. I put mine in applesauce [Smile]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

Hehe. Thanks. That sounds like a good idea too. Do the symptoms that you get in the first few cycles with the pill disappear after a while? Like I am retaining alot of water and am really poofy in the stomach region, and I didn't know if that would go away or not. Also when the amount of hormones is increased will the symptoms get worse..?
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Honestly, that really varies person to person. If after a few months you're still having some problems just make an appointment to see your doctor,and they can help you make the best informed decision on what to do or how to handle something going on. Most people find the first three months the side effects are a bit more intense, as your body adjusts. Once you're on them a bit it's usually better.

--------------------

Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

Okay, thanks so much =)
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

You're Welcome:)

--------------------

Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

Very sorry to bother you again, but this morning I slept through my alarm and ended up taking my pill 50 minutes late. I'm pretty sure I read in an article on this site that you are still considered a perfect user as long as it's within 3 hours? I just wanted to make sure this was right and that the effectiveness of ortho tri cyclen wouldn't go down 50 minutes late.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
50 minutes won't make a difference - you have a window of about three hours either way in which to take your pill and still be considered a perfect user.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hottytottie
Neophyte
Member # 47572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hottytottie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smiley, you'll be fine as long as you don't forget to take it twice in one cycle. At that point, additional protection is suggested to avoid potential risk of pregnancy.
Posts: 11 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

Is there a known amount of time that it takes the pill to absorb into your system or is it dependant on individual factors and people? I was just wondering, because I know unexpected things such as vomiting or diarhea can take the pill out of your system before it has gotten a chance to do its job, so to speak.

--------------------
~Smiley~ =)

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's usually around two or three hours, although it's tough to know exactly. But if you do have vomiting or diarrhea within a few hours after taking your pill, you want to assume that it hadn't been absorbed.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

Okay, That's what I figured. Thanks for your quick response. =)
Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

Today for some reason I couldn't swallow the pill as well so it had dissolved some in my mouth and had chewed it a little accidentally before finally swallowing it..can this be done without problems?

Also, I'm almost ready for my inactive pill week, which means my withdrawal bleed will becoming.. but should I experience some normal signs of a period? Like sore breasts and bloating? I know the pill can make this happen too, but it hasn't until now and it seemed like PMS.

[ 06-30-2010, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Smiley64 ]

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

You really aren't supposed to chew it, but if it's just this one time, it's not likely to make much of a difference.

As for what sort of pre-withdrawal bleed symptoms you notice, that's different for everyone but some women do have signs similar to PMS even on the pill. After you've been on the pill a few months, you'll likely start to notice some patterns falling into place in terms of what you experience before your withdrawal bleed.

--------------------

Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

Yeah... it actually dissolved a little while still in my mouth 2 mornings.... I'm trying to not let it happen but it's really difficult when you can't swallow pills...
Also, I've experienced some back pain and breast tenderness.. and am one day away from my placebo pills, so i figured they might be a little bit of PMS... those ones don't actually contain any medication and don't have to be taken, right?

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Right - the placebo pills are there just because it helps keep some people on track with taking a pill every day, but there's no need to take them at all.

--------------------

Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

Ok.. Just making sure. I take my pills in either marshmellows or bread to kind of "disguise" them cuz I can't swallow pills.. but what if they are dissolving some before I swallow them...does that lower their effectiveness at all, or enough to make it not be perfect use..? Sorry I'm asking so many questions, but I just want to make sure I'm doing this right so I don't have to worry about anything.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

It's really unlikely they're dissolving much, if at all before you swallow the way you're taking them. There's no need to be concerned here.

--------------------

Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

Okay, Thanks for your answers.
ilovenerds
Neophyte
Member # 47947

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ilovenerds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the pill I'm on is chewable! It's Femcon Fe, it's even mint flavored. As long as you drink a glass of water with it, the effectiveness is the same chewed and swallowed whole. If you are having such a hard time taking pill, consider asking your doctor about that. Or maybe even try a patch or a ring, I myself have never tried those, but they may work for you!

http://www.femconfe.com/index.jsp

[ 08-08-2010, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: ilovenerds ]

Posts: 35 | From: Land of Love | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.