Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » First time and I used a condom, Questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First time and I used a condom, Questions
Cool_Chick055
Neophyte
Member # 47345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cool_Chick055     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Friday I had sex for the first time. I'm not on the pill, so my boyfriend wore a condom to keep me from getting pregnant. He ejaculated in the condom inside of me, which is something that made me feel a little nervous about, but condoms are made to be used that way right?

My main question is, if the condom looked okay after sex and it wasn't broken, does that mean I am 100% protected from pregnancy? I just really don't want to get pregnant, I don't want to deal with that right now.

Also, if in the future a condom ever breaks, I can just get the morning after pill and not get pregnant, right?

Thanks in advanced. [Smile]

Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, condoms are indeed designed to handle ejaculation.

If the condom was on for ALL genital contact, if it did not tear or slip off, and if it was removed properly, then you can be pretty darn sure it worked to help protect you from pregnancy and STIs well with that use.

Condoms actually very rarely break when used correctly, but Plan B is absolutely something women can use if and when that happens.

But there are methods more effective than condoms, and it's even better to use condoms WITH another method if you want the best protection you can have to protect you from unwanted pregnancy. Were you interested in a second method more effective than both condoms and Plan B?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cool_Chick055
Neophyte
Member # 47345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cool_Chick055     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for answering my questions. I feel even better now knowing more so that I was protected on Friday. [Smile]

I am interested in a second method of birth control. I have considered the pill, but I have a few reasons why I'm not on it. I don't know if I will be having sex often enough that I want to take a pill every day, and then I would have to remember to take it, and there could be side effects on my body from it. I'm not sure at the moment. Although, even if I had sex only once or twice a month that would be a reason to take the pill. So I will think about it.

Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you know the pill isn't your only choice of secondary method, right? There are several other methods you would not have to take every day, for instance.

With side effects, I like to remind people that no method of contraception carries the risk of the level of side effects pregnancy does. As well, there are secondary methods which are not hormonal, too.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.