Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Breakthrough Bleeding... Bleh.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Breakthrough Bleeding... Bleh.
-Sophie-
Neophyte
Member # 45454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Sophie-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on the pill since January of this year, and have gone through... Six packs, I think.

I initially went on the pill to help alleviate my periods, as they were becoming unmanageable (cramping, intense mood swings and irritability, etc.).

My doctor put me on Femcon, which is apparently a fairly low-dose pill. While it has helped with my period, I've had breakthrough bleeding. I usually get about 10 days into a fresh pack of pills before I start, and this continues until I finish and start a new pack. It's gotten a bit better over the months, but I'm still spending about 2/3 of the month bleeding.

I unsuccessfully tried a higher dose pill; the bleeding went away but it gave me such severe mood swings that I essentially spent a month having horrible crying breakdowns every other day. It was bad. My doctor put me back on the Femcon, and while my mood swings have gone away, the bleeding is back.

As it's been about six months now, I'm starting to wonder if this is worth sticking with. I keep hoping that the bleeding will go away, but it hasn't, and it seems like a higher dose pill isn't the answer. As it is, I can't afford to spend another month testing out a pill that's going to make me have breakdowns all of the time. Yes, my periods were horrible before I went on the pill, but I'm starting to feel like bleeding for fifteen to twenty days out of thirty isn't worth it.

After taking this pill for six months, is this an indication that my body just isn't going to get used to it? I suppose I could try other low-dose pills, but I'm really sort of torn with what to do. My doctor keeps telling me to just stick with this and hopefully the bleeding will go away after a few months, but it's been six already.

Posts: 6 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of investigation did your doctor do with your periods? Any blood tests, ultrasounds, etc?

Is your doctor an OB/GYN?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Sophie-
Neophyte
Member # 45454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Sophie-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. My pediatrician (I'm still a minor) referred me to a gynecologist, and I've seen her a few times.

I am severely afraid of taking shots, and can't take a blood test. I've been through therapy to help with this, and can manage to get smaller shots, but a blood test is currently beyond me.

My doctor didn't take any tests, but asked me about my symptoms, and prescribed birth control.

Posts: 6 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did she at least do an ultrasound then, or have you chart your symptoms daily -- as well as things like diet and other daily life factors -- over a couple months?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Sophie-
Neophyte
Member # 45454

No, none of the above. She asked me a few questions about my general stress level, about my exercise, and things like that, but we didn't run any tests.
Heather
Member # 3

So, it sounds like it's past time for something, since the pill clearly isn't working out, and you do want to find out what's going on with that bleeding and what was going on with your periods before.

Ideally, you'd get some bloodwork done, but an ultrasound is something that doesn't require that. I'd suggest seeing the OB/GYN again and talking about this more.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.