Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Ortho Tri-Cyclen

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ortho Tri-Cyclen
Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smiley64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just had an appointment today and got ortho tri-cyclen. I was wondering if anyone is on it and could give some reviews on it?

Also, I live in a pretty rural area and there is very limited on the choice of healthcare providers I can choose from. However,I chose to go to the one that is closest to me location-wise. Anyway, she seemed very nonchalant to me. Like the things I've read up on and researched such as how it is important to take it on the right days at the right time, she just brushed off and said it wouldn't really hurt it. And I asked what to do since it's really hot here lately and it should be kept it 59-86 degrees and she said it really didn't matter. Why would the suggest it on the package if it wasn't important? Also I have never been able to swallow pills and she seemed to think this was ludicrous and basically said, well you can get used to it. Also I've researched for a long time about different options, but when I got there she just said she didn't think the ring was a good idea, and she didn't recommend the patch, and that one specific pill was good, and there was no need to explore even another brand that was different in the doses. I was just overall displeased with her almost know it all attitude. She also talked to me like I knew nothing, which isn't true.. because I've researched this at length and put alot of time into trying to find the right option for me... but apparently it didn't matter.

Posts: 169 | From: usa | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry you had a bad experience, Smiley. There are great healthcare providers out there, but obviously, there are some not-so-great ones too, and the one you got clearly was ill-informed as well as being dismissive of your needs.

If it's possible, I'd encourage you to try to find someone else - being unable to swallow pills isn't something that should be brushed aside, and neither should your research and your wants and needs with this. For now, if you aren't comfortable with the pill, there's no need to start taking it as long as you have a reliable method of birth control when necessary.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I just wanted to let you know that there is a chewable birth control pill out there- It's called Femcon FE Chewable.

I've never used it, and don't know much about it, but was just letting you know it's out there, [Smile]

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smiley64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I really don't think there is really too many other choices for physicians... Now I'm just really confused as to what things really are more relaxed and what should be paid attention to..

And I actually mentioned that there was a chewable pill, Femcon FE, and she looked at me like I had 5 heads and said she had never heard of it =\ I really would have liked to go on those ones actually too... but she obviously didn't have them...

Posts: 169 | From: usa | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

Is there anyone who has used this specific brand and would feel comfortable giving a review of what they did or didn't like about it?
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smiley,

Even if someone could give a review of the pill, it likely would not provide you with useful information.

Every body reacts differently to different pills, so while this pill might be great for someone else, it might cause terrible side effects for you or vise versa. There's really no way to tell until you try, and other people's experience will have no correlation with your own.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
be bright
Neophyte
Member # 47069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for be bright     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it gives you any solace, birth control pills are really, really small--about 4mm in diameter (I just measured it!). I take mine with a mouthful of water and usually can't feel the pill going down at all.

I hope you were able to find better help and resources!

Posts: 10 | From: Smog Angeles | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ilovenerds
Neophyte
Member # 47947

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ilovenerds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Smiley64:
Is there anyone who has used this specific brand and would feel comfortable giving a review of what they did or didn't like about it?

ME! I can't tell you how your body specifically will react to Femcon FE, you may have a completly different reaction to it.

I wrote about this in another post of yours [Smile]

I have had side effects on every single pill I've been on, Femcon is no exception. But, it's had the least side effects of them all.

I have had the same side effects on every pill I have been on,low and higher dose, so this one isn't special. I do get some light spotting when I'm stressed and right before the placebos, no biggie. I would recommend Femcon to anyone who can't swallow pills [Smile] Give it a shot!

[ 08-08-2010, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: ilovenerds ]

Posts: 35 | From: Land of Love | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.