Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Combined Pill effectiveness with certain factors...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Combined Pill effectiveness with certain factors...
pandora_paradoxx
Neophyte
Member # 45174

Icon 5 posted      Profile for pandora_paradoxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for asking so many questions lately, but I have a few more. Thank you all for being so helpful and answering them - I really, really appreciate it.

I have a few more questions regarding the effectiveness of birth control. First, is there a comprehensive list of all drugs/vitamins/substances that interact with the combined pill? My main concern is with acetaminophen, pepto bismol/antacids, vitamin c, alcohol, and my migraine medicine (I think on the page about the pill it said that some anti-migraine medicines interact with the pill; is Imitrex included in that? I haven't been using Imitrex this cycle because it's too expensive and my student health center doesn't take insurance, but I'll probably be able to get it when I go back home...)

Also, when does diarrhea/loose stools present a significant impact on effectiveness? I had one mild-ish instance of loose stools last night, about two hours after I took my pill. As far as I've seen, this is the only instance, and I doubt it will continue as my stomach's feeling a lot better now. Is my effectiveness compromised? And, if so, should I consider taking EC? (I know you're not usually supposed to do that on the pill, though...) And how long should I use a back-up method after this?

Also, if it has any sort of relevance to this, I'm a perfect user on my second pack of pills - I never take my pills outside of an hour window (8:30 - 9:30 pm).

Thank you so much for all your help! [Smile]

Posts: 17 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's our page on the pill, which includes a medication list: http://www.scarleteen.com/birth_control_bingo_the_combination_pill

But the very best person to ask about medication interactions is your pharmacist. You can always stop by or call in and ask when using any other medications if they interact with your pill: they have all that information on highly organized databases, and this is part of the job they are paid to do.

With the loose stools, I don't know of any pat answer on this one, but my call would be that if it was mild, there's no cause for concern here.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pandora_paradoxx
Neophyte
Member # 45174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pandora_paradoxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that was quick! Thank you!

Yeah, it was pretty mild, so unless it starts up again, I won't worry.

I'm going to see my doctor soon to pick up more pill packs, so I'll definitely ask about it then.

Thanks again!

Posts: 17 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.