Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » The sponge and withdrawal (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The sponge and withdrawal
Dreamgirl
Neophyte
Member # 46752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dreamgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I'm quite new to this forum. Although I've been reading for some time now.
Okay, so here's the problem/question. I just want to get an answer from someone more experienced.
I've had intercourse on 19th of April. It was 10th day of my cycle. Usually my cycle is 26 days.
Me and my partner used withdrawal. I assume it was used perfectly because he was only for maybe 2-3 minutes in me and pulled out really much earlier before ejaculating. I finished him off differently so I know where all the 'good stuff' went. Sorry for my openness. [Smile]
So, we've talked about my paranoia and freaking out, but in 48 hours I took something similar to Plan B.
He's very experienced and I trust him, but as soon as I was left alone I just got one of my panic attacks...Plain stupid. I told him and he was quite upset. (He's divorced and used this method for many many years. The only child he has was well planned).
So OK. That's not the main problem now. I know he's coming back home next week...And I know what I'm not going to avoid... [Roll Eyes]
I just think using The Sponge for some protection when still using withdrawal.Using condoms is not an option for us. Really.(I know the more likely risks of STI).
But I need someone to help me go through this panicking. I know that he wouldn't leave me alone if something happened, but I have so many plans for now.
And one more thing: if I had EC pills will ovulation be delayed? Considering it may stop ovulation or prevent sperm from fertilizing an egg, or even prevent implantation after the egg was fertilized.
So, anyway, if ovulation should have been this week, then with taking EC pills it can be delayed for the next week?
Sorry for so many absurd questions, but I really need a sensible person to answer me. Pleaseee... Because obviously I'm not one of them. [Confused]
P.S. Sorry for any (grammar) mistakes in my post.

[ 04-21-2010, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Dreamgirl ]

Posts: 27 | From: Europe | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No need to be sorry here for being clear and honest! [Smile]

While I support you in any choice you make around contraception, can I ask why condoms are off the table?

The effectiveness rate of perfect use of the sponge and withdrawal combined is 99.64%; combined they are 95.68% effective with typical use. What I like to tell people in contraceptive consulting is to figure that if they're using things as well as possible, since perfect use studies are done in labs, they should figure they're realistically probably between typical and prefect use. Make sense?

Are you asking about taking Plan B now for the sex on the 19th? Just a bit confused.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dreamgirl
Neophyte
Member # 46752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dreamgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I just wasn't clear enough - I already took the Plan B. Just because one of my panic attacks took over my sanity.

Thank you for your answer. It really does make sense and I know that when you look at some method effectiveness you should usually stick to the typical use. Because no one's perfect. [Big Grin]
I just tried to calm myself down.

Condoms are off the table because we(or me) can't use them(in my country it's quite impossible to obtain latex-free condoms). So I'm trying to figure out what to use to reduce risk more than it was this time while using only withdrawal.

Posts: 27 | From: Europe | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. So when did you take the Plan B? Within 24 hours or 72, I'd gather, given the timeline? If so, Plan B works like birth control pills do, so suppressing ovulation is one of the three possible ways they can work.

The issue with condoms is a latex sensitivity or allergy? If so, you know to check the box on sponges to be sure they're non-latex, yes? Some are, others are not.

With the condoms -- if you'd prefer those, and also want to protect against infections -- want to tell me what country you're in and see if I don't have more luck finding latex alternatives, including the female condom?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dreamgirl
Neophyte
Member # 46752

Also, what I want to add is I have a saliva microscope. Where you see your fertile time from the ferning in the saliva sample. I'm doing this test everyday for some time now. So on 19th of April I didn't see any ferning patterns, but on the 20th and 21st there were starting to show some small ferns. What it means is that I'm starting a fertile phase of my cycle,but ovulation haven't occured yet. It is not very likely that I would get pregnant, but there was a chance that some sperm in the pre-cum could have been and wait for an egg to be released...
On the other hand he didn't do anything (that includes ejaculating) for couple of days and before having sex he urinated.
...So this is my version to what risks I was exposed. I feel like telling a sci-fi story. When I look at it now I just don't get why I freaked out)
P.S. I've taken it within 72 hours. To be exact it was about 46-47 hours after intercourse had taken place.By the way, I have(bought them today)Pharmatex sponges. As I know they're made of polyurethane.

[ 04-21-2010, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Dreamgirl ]

Heather
Member # 3

So, another option for you is to combine natural family planning with withdrawal and/or a third method if you like. Suffice it to say, there are other methods, too: hormonal methods, cervical barriers, IUDs, the works.

Given what you saw in your cycles from a reliable way of assessing that, and given there was not ejaculation AND you took the Plan B, it seems clear that pregnancy from the 19th will be strongly unlikely.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Dreamgirl
Neophyte
Member # 46752

I'd like to thank you Heather for your help and support. I feel way better.
And about hormonal methods. I don't really want one because we're not seeing each other very oftenly.I'd say quite rarely because of his very specific job.
I'm sure considering getting an IUD in the future or maybe a cervical barrier...
I don't really know for now, but also I'm trying to plan what to use next week. I think it will be our last 'date' because he's going away for about two months. So I'm going to be safe and sound.

And, one more question. Can I get an IUD if haven't been pregnant? Is it true that women who get and IUD before giving birth to at least one child are more exposed to the complications it can cause? I mean infections, body rejecting the device?

[ 04-21-2010, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Dreamgirl ]

Heather
Member # 3

happy to help. [Smile]

With the IUD, yes, women who have not been pregnant can get them, and many have them. The differences are that the risk of expulsion is slightly higher, you will likely have more discomfort with insertion, and it may take a bit longer than it would for women who have been pregnant for the device to settle into your uterus comfortably.

There is NOT a higher infection risk for women who have not been pregnant than for those who have. based on the most current info, in the first 20 days after insertion, ALL women have a higher risk of infections or complications from infections, usually from STIs, so if you want to reduce those risks, you'd just either want to abstain form intercourse those 20 days (since you aren't using condoms), or have your partner be sure his STI tests are up-to-date before then if you two are monogamous. Since you're not using condoms, hopefully he is already current with those tests.

Cervical barriers are another good option, especially if you combine them with another method, like the withdrawal. They're often more effective than the sponge, and certainly cheaper to use regularly.

Per next week, are you comfortable using the sponge? If not, like I said, I'd be happy to see if -- still not sure if you have a latex allergy -- non-latex condoms aren't more findable than you've experienced.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Dreamgirl
Neophyte
Member # 46752

Now, this instant I think I am, but I'm not guaranteed I'm not going to freak out. I hope not to.
Maybe I've searched not too well. But I'd be happy to have any info are they available in Lithuania. Maybe I should consider trying the usual ones once more...
I think I'm going to have a serious talk with my partner when he gets back home.
You know, there are more factors why I shouldn't worry, but you know. Better to be overprotective than to just try my luck.

Dreamgirl
Neophyte
Member # 46752

Now, this instant I think I am, but I'm not guaranteed I'm not going to freak out. I hope not to.
Maybe I've searched not too well. But I'd be happy to have any info are they available in Lithuania. Maybe I should consider trying the usual ones once more...
I think I'm going to have a serious talk with my partner when he gets back home.
You know, there are more factors why I shouldn't worry, but you know. Better to be overprotective than to just try my luck.

Heather
Member # 3

I'm still unclear on if you have a latex sensitivity or allergy, since you never answered me. is that because you aren't sure? If not, one of the easiest ways to test is to get a latex glove and put it on your hand, trying to keep it on for around 20 minutes.

If in that time or after it's off, you have a skin reaction -- itching, burning, swelling, welts, hives, etc -- then you probably are latex allergic or sensitive. If not, then probably not.

Going to go do some digging for you anyway on non-latex in Lithuania. Will report back!

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Dreamgirl
Neophyte
Member # 46752

If to be honest, I really don't know. I do recall using latex gloves made my hands itch and go with red marks,but not from scratching.
And once we used condoms I felt burning during and after intercourse. I could consider maybe it's because of a lack of lubrication.
Anyway, now I'm thinking between using the sponges i have and condoms. At least if i get the same sensation i can put the sponge in.
P.S. I know we're both monogamous and he regularly checks his health. He has to and does it.
As for me, I'm kind of new to sex and he is my first so he didn't really insist of getting me checked. I know that being sexually active I should do that every six months. Or whenever I feel the need to.

[ 04-21-2010, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Dreamgirl ]

Heather
Member # 3

If you didn't use lube with condoms, it is hard to say if that reaction was from latex or not using lube. But having that experience with the latex gloves does suggest an issue.

I am seeing that female condoms, which are not latex, are available in your country. can I ask where, when you get condoms, you're getting them from?

Just want to make one thing clear, which is that I don't know why he has to check his health often, but full STI panels are rarely required, if ever, from employers. maybe he has a health condition where that's important, I don't know, but you could also both just easily go together sometime soon to both get full testing done so that you're both sure it's all good if using condoms isn't going to work for you.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Dreamgirl
Neophyte
Member # 46752

Thank you very much for the information!!! I'm really surprised to find out that female condoms are available here. Wow.
Well, that time we got them at a local pharmacy.

Heather
Member # 3

Maybe try calling your pharmacy then and asking if they carry them? If you can also fill me in on what brands you have there, that might help, too. Brands like Durex are very international, for instance, and they make a non-latex condom (the SKYN).

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Dreamgirl
Neophyte
Member # 46752

Yes, we have here Durex, Life Style, Contex and so on.Thank you really very much. I think I'm gonna suggest them for using this time.

[ 04-22-2010, 03:38 AM: Message edited by: Dreamgirl ]

Dreamgirl
Neophyte
Member # 46752

Also I would like to add that today I got full ferning in my 4 samples of saliva. In the last one they were really clear. Means that whether today or tomorrow ovulation will occur. And I got very much watery cervical fluid.
So the Plan B i took is under question - was it worth to take it?
I'm writing this just in case someone is in a similar situation or is a little bit into natural family planning. Although, I got the saliva microscope for other purposes, but it seems to come quite in handy.
So, this is a big lesson for me. To just calm down and THINK with my brains and not some other body part. [Smile]
I hope everything will turn ok this month for me. [Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

Remember that Plan B works in THREE possible ways, not just one. So, even in the event that it turns out not to have suppressed ovulation, it still may have thickened mucus and still may have thinned the uterine lining.

Mind, Plan B isn't 100% effective anyway, and is most effective taken in the first 24 hours. But again, if withdrawal was used properly, your risk was low anyway, so there's that, too.

(And now you're making me sorry that when I used Plan B I didn't do temps and mucus observations! If I wasn't allergic to the stuff, I'd probably take it again just to appease my curiosity.)

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Dreamgirl
Neophyte
Member # 46752

You know, the main thing I was worried about is that Plan B could have suppressed ovulation for next week. When my bf/partner will come back home. That's what bothered me really very much.

I know that EC effectiveness isn't very big, but I hope everything is and will be OK.

My curiosity is out of worrying about next week. [Big Grin]
Offtopic:
Anyway, I have to say that I admire your site and forum. Everyone seem so friendly and supportive in the discussions.
Thank You!
In some other site I tried to discuss about my problems and issues, and the reaction was very unfriendly and judgmental.

Heather
Member # 3

I'm really sorry to hear you got that kind of reaction elsewhere. Dare I ask where you asked? Yahoo, etc?

I'm not sure I understand your concern about the suppressing ovulation and next week? If it does suppress it, that doesn't push it forward, to be clear. That would mean you just wouldn't ovulate in this cycle, most likely.

But per next week, are you feeling like you have a BC solution? Is the plan still withdrawal + sponge or withdrawal + condom? If so, those are very good solutions.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Dreamgirl
Neophyte
Member # 46752

No, not Yahoo. I asked in some local forum.
Oh, thanks for your explanation. I thought ovulation would occur later in the cycle. Ooops, I was wrong.
Yes, the plan remains withdrawal+sponge or wihtdrawal+condom (or condom+sponge). Personally, I'd feel better if we used the second or third method, but still I need to discuss it with my partner.

P.S. You know, about the ferning thing...Hm,I've looked at some info that if my saliva samples won't stop showing clear and big ferns for at least 4-5 days then it means in this cycle it won't be any ovulation.
And I'm really thinking about an IUD device for the future. Somehow, I think I'd prefer with copper rather one with the hormones. Anyway, I'm going to get an advise from my gyno in the future.

Sorry that I'm bothering you so much, but it's so great to talk with a person that knows so much and gives good advices.
So, you really think that those are good options? Even only the withdrawal+sponge?Sorry that I'm starting over again [Roll Eyes]

[ 04-22-2010, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: Dreamgirl ]

Heather
Member # 3

Why are the second or third methods things that particularly need discussion? Just curious.

And I'm not bothered at all, for real.

I think what are good options depends on what you want and need. Suffice it to say, and it may be stating the obvious, but if none of your available options feel okay to you, having only the kinds of sex this visit that do NOT pose risks of pregnancy is also another good option. It's not like intercourse is a requirement, after all, or the only way to have sex.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Dreamgirl
Neophyte
Member # 46752

I guess that I might get a question du I trust him and so on. Well, I do trust him, but I don't trust withdrawal as an only method.(Sometimes better than nothing). And that was really obvious this time.

No, I feel really OK about using the sponge because it's a method that depends from me.
And I'm also more than OK for him to withdraw. It's a method that depends from him. What I'm trying to say that if the pre-cum contains sperm then spermicides in the sponge are likely to stop/kill them.
Considering also that it would be the infertile phase of my cycle.

That's why I'm saying that I need to talk to him seriously.
Anyway, we did all kinds of forms of intimacy until I was more ok with doing something more. So no rushing was involved which I appreciate.

Heather
Member # 3

Honestly, if he's more experienced as you say, he should have gotten over the loopy "you don't trust me" stuff YEARS ago. If he earnestly is still at that, I'd be asking myself some questions, were it me. I don't think I've heard that from a sexual partner since my early teens. If a partner over 25 said anything like that to me, I'd probably be asking to check the birthdate on their ID. [Razz]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Dreamgirl
Neophyte
Member # 46752

You know, you are right.
I've even smiled at what you've written though there is nothing what to smile about...
So this time either we do it my way or we don't do it at all.
Maybe he's lucky that women with whom he had sexual encounters didn't fall pregnant. Or for example his ex-wife. But I'm not her and it doesn't satisfy me. So,you get the idea what will I talk about with him...

Heather
Member # 3

So, is the condom issue really HIS issue, not yours?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Dreamgirl
Neophyte
Member # 46752

No, but if the Life Style SKYN is without latex then why we shouldn't try it?(And i found where i could get them)
I hope he won't come to an excuse like you can't use them or trust issue. I'm just thinking he might, but i hope he won't.

P.S. And about the female condom. They are currently unavailable in most pharmacies where I live.

[ 04-22-2010, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Dreamgirl ]

Heather
Member # 3

Oh, glad you found them! I've sampled them, and was very pleased with them. They're a really nice material, and also conduct heat very well.

I hope he won't, too. If he does, I would strongly encourage you to consider if that's really what you want in a partnership. In my book, this is both a maturity issue and an issue of equality and respect. Partners who aren't on board to help us prevent outcomes we don't want, especially when doing so involves something as utterly minor as putting on a fracking condom, just aren't partners at all as far as I'm concerned.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Dreamgirl
Neophyte
Member # 46752

Really, Heather, thank you so much.
I feel so much better. [Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

Oh, good. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Dreamgirl
Neophyte
Member # 46752

So, today I observed eggwhite mucus that was sooo unbelievably stretchy. Interesting.
And saliva samples shown less ferning. It should mean that ovulation really ocured and the ovum is loosing it's viability.
I see this topic has became almost like a blog for me. [Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

Hey, I'm fascinated. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Dreamgirl
Neophyte
Member # 46752

Hi there!
Now I have a question. Yesterday in the evening I had quite bad cramping and then some spotting showed. The discharges were pink but at some point with very little blood.
So should I consider it as a period??It immediately stopped and I had no signs of bleeding after that for the rest of the evening.
Although now I'm having brown discharges again with some uteral lining in it.
Sorry if I'm being too explicit. But I'm confused. Should I consider this as my real period? Cause it really feels like it is. Really bad cramping, feeling bloated, weakness and emotionally unstable. (This always happens for me when I'm having my period).
So should I count my new cycle from the bleeding(or what should i call it) day?

I hope this is the last time when I take these medications without no reasons. [Frown]
Oh, I forgot to add that my normal period should have been only on the 6th of May.

[ 04-29-2010, 05:58 AM: Message edited by: Dreamgirl ]

Heather
Member # 3

Sounds like a period to me.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Dreamgirl
Neophyte
Member # 46752

Thank you for your answer. [Smile]
Searched a little bit more on the net. If it feels like one, looks like one and acts like one then it really is.
I hope my next cycle won't be so disrupted.
Can I ask you as a more experienced person? Have you had any disruptions in cycle length after EC?
I know that it's very individual for every girl/woman, but I'm quite concerned when to expect my next fertile time and so on.

[ 04-29-2010, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Dreamgirl ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.