Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Tri-Previfem to Tri-Sprintec

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tri-Previfem to Tri-Sprintec
caro
Neophyte
Member # 29343

Icon 5 posted      Profile for caro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on Tri-Previfem birth control pills for almost two years, and I've never had a problem. We had insurance issues, so I switched the pharmacy at which I get my prescriptions filled. I got Tri-Sprintec instead of Tri-Previfem, which are different generic brands of the same name brand product. They are the exact same hormone levels and distribution.

However, both this month and last month, the first two that I've been using Tri-Sprintec, I've gotten my period on about day 12, which is a week and a half early. And it's a full flow period and it lasts until I start week 1 of the next pack of pills. It's rather inconvenient.

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and if I should contact my doctor now or wait it out another month to see if my body needs to get used to the slightly different prescription.

PS I know you're likely not doctors. And I'm in college, far from home, so it makes the visit a little cumbersome.

Thanks!

--------------------
how do you do it and make it seem effortless?

Posts: 12 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some women do experience a change in side effects when switching from brand name to generic, or from one generic to another. In general, when starting the pill or switching brands, you do want to give yourself about three months for your body to adjust, but there's no harm in phoning your doctor to see what they recommend.

Alternatively, is there a health center on your campus? That's another option if you want to discuss this with a doctor in person.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.