Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Mirena..any advice?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mirena..any advice?
Dxwn
Activist
Member # 31228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dxwn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've chosen the IUD Mirena over the implant after my discussion with the doctor at Planned Parenthood.She told me that she puts a lot of Mirena's in for teens(I'm 16), and that it'll help with my periods, since my pill didn't. She also told me that she's had alot more people want the implant out because of the bleeding, and since my family has a history of bad scars(keloids) she leaned towards Mirena. So, I've done all of my research, and I'm preparing myself for my appointment next monday.

My last concern though, is that I've read that one should not have had Uterine Fibroids, which I haven't, but my mom has. She's going through her second now, at 55. She's also going through a Breast cancer scare, as in her last mammogram, the doctor found a nodule. I told my doctor about mom's Breast cancer possibility, but mom's uterine fibroid slipped my mind. I've had my own GYN exams, back in October when I started the pill, and everything(Blood/urine tests, health blood tests, GYN exam, and physical exam), and everything came back perfectly normal. I'm still in my 2 year monogamous relationship, and we were both virgins, haven't been with anyone else AT ALL for anything, etc.

I wanted to know if I should be concerned with my mom's situation as far as long term effects or anything now? I know its a long shot, I just want to be safe.

I also would really appreciate hearing anyone's advice who's had Mirena, and even better if you're in my age group. I've never been pregnant, but my doctor said I should be fine with an ibuprofen..I would like to know how this went with other young, childless women at insertion?(Pain scale 1-10, 10 being horribly, terrible, bad.). I've heard alot of different things, and I know everyone's experiences are different. But With everything said, and my doctor's personal recommendation towards it for my period, I'd like to know what anyone here thinks.

I really appreciate everyone's help! I'm sorry it's so long. I'm just looking for the reassurance that I need. [Smile] Thanks everyone!

Posts: 104 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just FYI, based on the data about fibroids so far, they do not appear to be hereditary: http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/patientcare/healthcare_services/gynecological_health/uterine_fibroids/Pages/index.aspx

As well, fibroids become far more common later in age. The Mirena is a 5-year IUD, but you can also have it taken out at any time should you by chance develop a fibroid. Some women with fibroids also do have IUDs (and that's fine), and they can help some women with them with bleeding from fibroids.

However, you can certainly call your doctor and tell them about them if you like.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dxwn! [Smile]

[Oh, Heather beat me!]

I have a few points:

- Your doctor may say that she's had people want the Implant out due to bleeding, but remember that many women experience spotting and other side effects during the six months after IUD insertion, and some have them last longer. I know these things are a worst case scenario, but I know you've very concerned about that, too. IUDs are expensive, unless your insurance covers it all, so that's something to keep in mind, too.

- I have had my IUD for two months now and find my periods to still include some periods of bad cramps: I hope they'll go away with time but I was in a lot of discomfort on and off with cramps during the two weeks after insertion. Many people experience no problems but I'd say I had mixed feeling about adjusting.

- You could just call and leave your doctor a message about the fibroids if you're concerned.

- The doctor knows her stuff best, but I'm surprised that she recommends Mirena for lots of teens, because many don't (even more liberal-minded ones) but she's the expert! I know of people who are happy with them in their early 20s, but I haven't heard about younger users; of course, I'm sure they exist.

- IUDs do put one at a higher risk for contracting PID if STIs go untreated, so many people, including myself, say you must absolutely stick to either a monogamous relationship (from both partners) or use latex barriers for ALL forms of sex (including dental dams for oral sex.) That can be a big responsibility, so it's important to take it into consideration. I got one when I was in a relationship but am no longer in one and wish I didn't have one because, while I will now always use latex barriers, I would rather just use EC as back-up and not have the increased PID risk.

- I have to say: you've very conscientious about your sexual health, which is great, but I also see many major times of worry for you. An IUD would help decrease pregnancy risk but it won't necessarily help all-around if you have other underlying fears. And you haven't been on BCP that long, so it may be worth seeing another doctor for a second opinion and trying the pills a little longer or switching brands. You could also try lifestyle changes for the period aspects or even take a break from sex for awhile if it's been so hard to deal with at times.

- As for the pain, I felt it wasn't very bad -- probably a 3 or 4 -- but know people who said it was a 15... they still got their IUDs though!

Honestly, I'd recommend waiting a bit longer before making any decisions but it's really up to you! Good luck! [Smile]

[ 03-21-2010, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Ecofem ]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dxwn
Activist
Member # 31228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dxwn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heather: Okay! I didn't know that they weren't really hereditary. My mom's fibroids are uterine, so i thought I'd ask.

Ecofem:
Wow! That's alot of info. My doctor said it should go just fine, and she said she's had no problems with them and teens, and she's been with planned parenthood for 9 years.

I'm in that super committed relationship..so I'm not too concerned about infection. Since I've been on the pill, we've had sex without a condom many times, and I got a negative on the big one: HIV. But like I said, we were both virgin, not even kissed anyone else. And we've been like that ever since.

I do have many worry issues sometimes..but I wanted to give Mirena a try because it can help with my period as well as the effectiveness. I think having a method that's with me at all times, and all I have to do to check is wash up and stick some fingers up there to feel for strings(=P) seems pretty convenient. Most of my worry comes from: "What if I forgot today, and I just blacked out?" And I often think about it after sex, because I'm not at home. So, I think it'd be good for my worries, because I can just check, and KNOW its there and working. I was afraid of taking things with the pill, because I've read that it makes them not work. I was also really wanting no estrogen. My mom's situation and her doctor's opinion(even with what's been said on other posts) makes me uncomfortable about using a method with it.

I can deal with the spotting from that. What made me unsettled about the implant was they said that the bleeding would always be irregular, and would continue through usage. I can deal with spotting and light bleeding, especially if it's going to help and keep me protected. I tried lifestyle changes, and nothing really changed my period. I've gone to the ER for it, so I'm looking for something that could maybe go straight to the source.

Yep, my doctor recommended it for me. I was surprised too. But with everything said, I still think it'd be the best option for me at this point. But if I'm not happy after its in, or it hurts too much at insertion, I can speak up go to another estrogen-free method. [Smile]

Money isn't an issue. I've not no income, and no dependents, so PPH put me on the government plan, which covers everything.

Thanks for your help! I this was really good info! [Big Grin] I'm still open to anyone else with advice. [Smile]

Posts: 104 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Just one quickie on the elevated PID/STI risk: that's only for a very specific length of time. Studies have shown those risks are only elevated within the first 20 days after insertion, not permanently or during the whole time an IUD is in.)

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dxwn
Activist
Member # 31228

Thanks for the clarification. I had heard some different views on that particular issue.
Heather
Member # 3

Sure. As well, if it helps to know, I know and also know of plenty of providers who prescribe/insert IUDs for young women often. At one of the clinics I currently provide sex ed for, the doctor there is an ace with insertion and has given them to many young women doing great with them.

As I think we already discussed, the risk of expulsion of the device is higher in women who have not been pregnant before, and it may take longer for it to become comfortable for you (for it to settle into your uterus comfortably), but that's not about age, it's about whether or not someone has been pregnant.

To my understanding, there's even an upcoming program here in Washington state to help get more IUDs available for younger women.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Dxwn
Activist
Member # 31228

That's good to know. I'll probably be checking back often or keeping a blog on how I feel with it.

Yeah, I've read of that. I'm pretty sure I'll be okay with it. I told my doctor that a pap smear was..eh. just uncomfortable for me, as well as afterward, and she said its not really much worse than that. Although I am expecting quite a bit of cramping.

She's definitely for me getting Mirena. I'm so glad that it's available to me; it was an extreme relief to be able to tell the nurses I have no way to pay, and still be covered. The new health bill passed, so I'm hoping for some good changes when it comes to accessibility to BC for young women, and confidentiality as well.

Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[If I may jump in, that's good to know about PID/STI risk, Heather. I knew it was being discussed but I wasn't sure what the final outcome was. [Smile] ]

[ 03-22-2010, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: Ecofem ]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

For sure.

Just FYI for everyone, I always keep updating our BC Bingo pages, so if you're using or considering a given method, you can always check those pages about each method for new info. Whenever something new (and verified) crosses my desk or I hear about a change, I put it in. [Smile] This, for instance, has been up there for a year or so now.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.