Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Scary Info

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scary Info
DarlingNikki
Neophyte
Member # 43498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingNikki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was doing some reading on the internet and came across this webpage that said "pregnancy may also cause bleeding during the pill cycle". I was extremely confused when I read this. It also said "If a full menstrual flow occurs while the woman is taking her pills, this usually means she has ovulated despite the BCPs." Is there any truth to these statements? Here is the link for the page as well http://www.brooksidepress.org/Products/Military_OBGYN/Textbook/Contraception/BCPs.htm
Posts: 35 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, for starters, I think you need to recognize that a page like that is not intended for patients/pill users, but for healthcare providers. Reading it as a user is likely to be confusing and be misinterpreted.

That said, usually, women using BCPs DO have shorter, lighter periods than when they are not, however, there are also other possibilities there, as some women do NOT experience that effect who also did not ovulate.

Pregnancy can create light bleeding sometimes, but that's something that happens less frequently than frequently.

Can I ask what information you were looking for at a page like that? I'd be happy to direct you to information meant for patients, not for providers.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarlingNikki
Neophyte
Member # 43498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingNikki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking for info about bleeding before the placebo week. With the current pill that I'm on I get my period while I'm still taking my active pills. This has been happening since I first stared the pill months ago. I always get my period during the third week.
Posts: 35 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's something that happens for some women, it also seems to tend to happen a bit more with some pills than others, and it's also more common during the first few months of using a new pill.

If in doubt, your best bet, and what will probably leave you feeling the most secure, is to call your doctor or your pharmacist and just ask about it. Patient information is part of both of their jobs, jobs you pay them for. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.