Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » want to know about ligation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: want to know about ligation
megami_kate
Activist
Member # 42191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for megami_kate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've heard of ligation as an option given to women who do not want to be pregnant anymore.. how is it done?? im thinking the ligation process will cut off the fallopian tubes so no pregnancy occurs.. but am not sure. i really want to know. and is it 100% sure that the woman will no longer get pregnant? and if ligation has been made, can the woman still cum and can she still get wet? please help.
Posts: 64 | From: Philippines | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tubal ligation isn't about terminating a pregnancy.

Rather, tubal ligation is a method of preventing pregnancy. It's permanent, and sparing total flukes, it is as close to 100% as it gets. It does not impact the ability to self-lubricate, ejaculate or orgasm.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
megami_kate
Activist
Member # 42191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for megami_kate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is there an age requirement for a tubal ligation? i would like to have one, am 18 now, and i dont want my mom to know about it.
Posts: 64 | From: Philippines | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very few doctors will give tubals to women as young as you are simply because it is permanent.

There is no one age, but most doctors simply will not give them to women who either do not have children already, or who are not in their thirties.

You can certainly ask doctors about it, but finding one to give a tubal to someone so young would really be unusual. They are also very expensive, so if they're not covered by any public or private healthcare (I don't know the healthcare system in the Philippines well at all), you'd also need to have the cash to pay for one. Here in the states, they run around 1,000 - 3,000 dollars.

[ 02-09-2010, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
megami_kate
Activist
Member # 42191

i see. i really want to a tubal, as i am definitely and very certain that i do not want to be pregnant. wow, is it that expensive? omg i dont think i can afford one. that sucks.. but really, thanks alot for your help!
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
megami_kate,

If you do not want to be pregnant, there are options other than a tubal ligation that are long-term and high success rates. [Smile]

Here are two articles on that topic:
Margaret Sanger's Disneyland: Choosing Contraceptives
Birth Control Bingo!

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.