Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Condoms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condoms
Abbey Dawn
Neophyte
Member # 45345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abbey Dawn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me and my boyfriend have been together for 6 months and just recently we tried sex for the first time. The only problem is that he only had one condom and we don't know what kind of condoms is the bect regarding pleasure and preventing STDS and pregnancy.
Any suggestions?

Posts: 25 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best kind of condom is the one that's used properly. [Smile]

Honestly, the brand doesn't matter as much as correct use. If it's used for all genital contact, and doesn't break or slip off, then you can consider yourselves well-protected from pregnancy and STIs.

For more on proper condom use, check it out: Condom Basics: A User's Manual

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5659 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abbey Dawn
Neophyte
Member # 45345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abbey Dawn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank You! ^_^
Posts: 25 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dude_silicon_valley
Neophyte
Member # 45567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dude_silicon_valley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually like the ultrathin condoms (any reputable brand). Also try using spermicidal condoms, it adds another layer of protection.

Most brands have ultrathin spermicidal condoms.

Posts: 13 | From: CA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dude_silicon_valley, you're right about the ultrathin condoms [Smile] but we actually recommend against using spermicidal condoms for the reasons below mentioned in our Guide to the Condom Aisle article .
quote:
Spermicidally lubricated condoms: These are condoms which have a small application of spermicidal lubricant on the condom. Really, even if these condoms did break, we'd still advise emergency contraception for someone who did not want to become pregnant: there just really isn't enough spermicide on them to make a huge difference. But too, if you're using condoms correctly, they're very unlikely to break, and unless they break, that spermicide is useless.
Spermicides have been shown to increase the risk of some sexually transmitted infections -- because they irritate the genitals, making them more susceptible to infection -- so usually, we'll advise people to ditch these, and just use condoms without spermicide correctly -- including the use of extra lubricant. That may also include infections like UTIs which aren't technically sexually transmitted, but which are often due to sex. Even without any extra STI risks, we never want to add agents which might make our genitals feel raw or irritated when we don't have to. If you ever have a condom break on you, you can get and use emergency contraception, which is much more effective in preventing pregnancy than a drop or two of spermicide.

You'll know when a condom is spermicidally-lubricated because it will say so on the box.

If you do not find spermicides to be irritating to you, and if you just have no way to get emergency contraception and pregnancy prevention is key, that even that little extra help spermicidal lube provides may be of use to you.

[ 02-02-2010, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Ecofem ]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abbey Dawn
Neophyte
Member # 45345

Thank you for all of your help. If you have any other suggestions refferring to protection please tell me.
dude_silicon_valley
Neophyte
Member # 45567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dude_silicon_valley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's good info Ecofem.

Till now me or my girlfriend has not had any irritation from spermicide. So works for us pretty well.

Posts: 13 | From: CA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.