Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Temperature and BC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Temperature and BC
all_about_eve
Neophyte
Member # 45441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for all_about_eve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I go to school in MN and the winters are, as you might guess, exceedingly bitter up here. I'm on Azurette, the generic brand version of Mircette, and I'm about two weeks away from finishing my first pack.
I've noticed that all the BC packs say to store the pill at room temperature. I'm a bit concerned about this, because I've had my birth control with me outside when it's anywhere from 15 to -3 degrees, and I'm wondering if exposure to such extreme cold can "deactivate" the pill or make it less effective. Rest assured, the pill pack spends the majority of its time inside with me, but I walk about 2 miles a day on average so I'm outside for at least an hour, sometimes more. Any advice?

Posts: 17 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Eve,

Extreme hot temperatures are worse for pills than extreme cold, but those temperatures are VERY cold, and so finding a way to protect your pills against it would be a good idea.

If you have to carry them with you (the best option would be to leave them in a heated building al day), can you store them inside your coat instead of in your purse? An internal pocket to a jacket or coat would be perfect for keeping the pills at a reasonable temperature.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
all_about_eve
Neophyte
Member # 45441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for all_about_eve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you!

I have switched to carrying the pills in my purse/jacket pocket. I do have one follow up question, though. Does the pills' previous exposure to the cold pose any threat to me now? Keep in mind that I was (stupidly) keeping them in a small metal case, and that case was getting pretty cold when I was out walking. Should I back this cycle up?

Posts: 17 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.