Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » What would you suggest?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What would you suggest?
Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smiley64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So i've been trying to shop around for birth control, and see what would work for me since I've been with my boyfriend for over a year and a half, and want to have sex, but won't unless both he and I have protection. But i'm just wondering what you think would work best for me. I know everyone is different, and will react differently to certain medicines, but just a general answer would be appreciated.

I want something that won't lighten my period a whole lot, and that won't make me really sick when i first start off on it. It would also be nice if it didn't make me gain weight. I'm not able to swallow pills...I'm not cokpletely closed to them, but i've just never been able to make myself swallow them, and I don't know if I'd trust myself to put the ring in right.. or I'd think that I did it wrong and it wasn't working.I know there is chewable pills and the patch also, and I'd really rather not get a shot of some sort.. I was just wondering which you thought would be typically best for me, with the highest protection rates possible. Any advice or experience would be appreciated, thanks =)

Posts: 169 | From: usa | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Smiley, have you checked out the birth control bingo article? It's fantastic for narrowing down your choice and getting an idea of what might work best for you:

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/reproduction/birth_control_bingo

Maybe you could pop back in once you've narrowed it down some, and we can go from there? :)

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smiley64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually read the article already, but thanks for attaching it... I'm thinking probably the patch, or chewable pill would work best..( Is it just me or has the patch lost popularity lately, and if so, why?) and as second choices maybe the ring and non-chewable pill. Do they all work equally as well, and are any of these known for the items I said I'd like to avoid?
Posts: 169 | From: usa | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

I've actually read the article already, but thanks for attaching it... I'm thinking probably the patch, or chewable pill would work best..( Is it just me or has the patch lost popularity lately, and if so, why?) and as second choices maybe the ring and non-chewable pill. Do they all work equally as well, and are any of these known for the items I said I'd like to avoid?
Lastly, is there any weight limits on these? ( I weigh about 145- 150 lbs, and I know some work better with lighter people, and I don't want it not to work as well because of that.)

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okey doke. Just making sure you saw it. [Smile]

All three of the combined methods available (pill, ring, patch) work in the same way and have similar side effects and effectiveness; over 99% with correct use. It's simply a matter of which one is most convenient for one's lifestyle. Some women prefer to start on the pill since there's so many different brands.. they can easily ask for a different pill if they have bothersome side effects. For right now, options like the ring, patch, and chewable pill come in only one hormone formulation each, so sometimes if a woman just can't tolerate the hormonal cocktail, they have to discontinue the method altogether and switch to something else.

As for bleeding, weight gain, and nausea, unfortunately those are things you really have to try-it-to-see. Weight gain isn't thought to be directly correlated to combined methods, but it is a common enough experience. I can attest personally that when I switched to a different hormonal method than the pill, I gained quite a bit of weight that I simply can't chalk up to anything else.

For bleeding, any hormonal birth control method will change bleeding. Combined method users usually notice less bleeding with periods, and some may have light spotting or next to nothing at all. If it bothers you, you can ask to switch.

For nausea, you might want to shoot for a lower estrogen method. The patch is pretty high in estrogen, but its method of delivery is also different. Stomach upset/nausea is thought to be a problem mostly with pills because they are absorbed by the gut, not directly into the bloodstream like the patch/ring.

BUT, I think the most important thing here is that there's absolutely positively no telling if you'll get the side effects you dread or which are better to avoid X. Just pick a method with your doctor/clinic that would be easiest for you to use, and you can tackle any problems as they emerge. In the grand scheme of things, combined hormonal methods are VERY tolerable in terms of side effects compared to other medications. I've never had any worse than those on antibiotics, tbh. [Smile]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Oh, and you're well within an acceptable weight range to use combined methods. Effectiveness only becomes an issue when we're talking very low dose pills and quite obese patients. :)
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to add a tiny bit of info on the ring: There is no need to worry about not putting it in right, as there is no 'right' way to put it in. It just needs to be inside your vagina. You'll want to push it as far back as you can, so it sits around your cervix and stays put, but as long as it's inside your vagina, you're good to go. It's not a barrier method (like the diaphragm, for example, where placement DOES matter), but a hormonal method, so it works by giving off hormones inside of you.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

thanks for you replies and answers, they were very helpful. I think now my obstacle is setting up an appointment to see someone.. i've always been very reluctant to let anyone see me, so i'm hoping they won't ask to see or examine me.. lol. unlikely.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.