Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Nuvaring and condoms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nuvaring and condoms
Kotori
Activist
Member # 17839

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Kotori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone! I just started using Nuvaring last week and both my gyno and the instructions in the box say you should use another birth control method during the first week, but I'd like to know what the effectiveness (%) of the ring by itself is after that first week? I've been reading some posts about Nuvaring on this board and most users say they're using Nuvaring on its own and haven't got pregnant so are we talking about a 0-1% failure rate then?

I ask this because the idea of not using a condom is kind of "scary" to me, as in "can't see a condom, then it's unprotected sex, then I'm gonna get pregnant", but if there is really "no point" to wearing a condom while on the ring I might as well stop using condoms "just because". Also, a friend of mine told me about a girl she knows who got pregnant while on the ring, but then again I don't know that person enough to say how perfect her use of the ring might have been so... I'd like to hear your thoughts on the topic or at least the reasoning behind those few people that use both condoms and Nuvaring.
Thanks in advance everyone [Smile]

Posts: 80 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LondonBlue
Activist
Member # 38698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LondonBlue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NuvaRing is a hormonal BC method so it has the same failure rate as the pill, which is 0-1% with perfect use (easier with the ring than with the pill, IMO).

I still think there's a "point" to wearing a condom if you want to. It can't hurt to use 2 methods (as long as they don't hinder each other--I would be sure to take out the ring when having sex with a condom, because that might not be good friction), and if you feel safer doing that there's no reason not to.

If my experience helps: I use the ring, I take it out every time I have sex for comfort, and I occasionally use condoms for other reasons than BC. No problems, and no pregnancies (1+ year on the ring with 5-6 months of regular intercourse). So if you want to use condoms, go for it! But I wouldn't worry too much about the effectiveness of the ring--it really does work, haha. [Smile] Good luck!

Posts: 96 | From: West Coast USA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can see the effectiveness rates for birth control methods used on their own and used in combination here:

The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

Basically, people get to choose what degree of risk they're comfortable with. Like LondonBlue said, if considering not using a condom makes you feel anxious, there's absolutely no reason to go without.

Besides helping you relax about pregnancy risk, an important reason to back up with condoms is STI protection. Condoms are the only method of birth control which also offer protection against STIs.

(Just to clarify: It is safe to use a condom while the ring is inserted.)

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.