Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » First Time On Birth Control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First Time On Birth Control
hellolover
Neophyte
Member # 43240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hellolover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just started birth control (Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo) with my last period which started on July 6th, and I got what seems to be my period, but I am not sure because it's all brown blood, and a little red blood!! Also, today is only the 30th of July which means that I have had like two periods in one month! I am on the sugar pills now, but my period did not start exactly the same day I ended up on the sugar pills! Is this normal??
Posts: 5 | From: Houston | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is perfectly normal. Your period won't always start on the first day of the sugar pills - it can take a couple of days for the hormone levels in your body to drop enough to trigger a bleed. Also, it's very common to have lighter/shorter periods on BC, and for the first few months to be a bit wonky. After a few cycles, you should notice your body settling into a pattern, but don't expect your periods on BC to be exactly the same as they were before you started taking it.

Per the two periods in one month, that's not an issue. There are 21 active pills per pack of Ortho Tricyclen Lo, and 7 sugar pills. So, 28 pills - most months have more than 28 days, and sometimes it works out that you get two periods in one calendar month. But that can happen even off of birth control, because your body doesn't care what calendar month it is, it only matters how many days each cycle is. Make sense?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hellolover
Neophyte
Member # 43240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hellolover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much!! I understand..although, I think my period only lasted today. However, I was reading other posts and I kept seeing the term 'withdrawal bleed/blood' used, do you know what that means?
Posts: 5 | From: Houston | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Withdrawal bleed' refers to the period you have on the pill - because when you're on the pill, you don't get a real period, the bleeding you experience is because of a drop in hormones during the sugar pills or pill-free week.

This might make it a bit clearer for you how the pill works: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/21/t/000351.html

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.