Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » bcp and cramps

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bcp and cramps
Member # 43278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before I started taking the pill, I used to get really terrible cramps on the first day of my period. I think it started in high school, but by the time I got to freshman year of college, they were so bad that I'd have to skip class to lie in bed, because I was in so much pain that I constantly felt like I was going to burst into tears and then throw up. Drugs stopped helping my cramps when I was about 15, so I just stopped taking them.

I've been on the pill since February. My first three periods were great. I had cramps but they weren't constant or bad, and actually went away when I took motrin. The fourth was not so great- I had cramps for two days and they were slightly worse- but nowhere near as bad as before I started the pill. My last period, though... still not as bad as before, but it got to the point where I had to go home sick from work (something I have never done before in my life) because I couldn't stand up any longer.

My question: I'm working 13-hour days and taking a summer class and have no social life right now, so could stress have anything to do with this? Or is this brand of pills just not working for me? TBH I told my doctor I wanted the pills for sex (also true) because it seemed like it would be easier to get them (what if I needed a pelvic exam, I'd have to wait 3 months for school to be over, since my insurance only covers out-of-state emergencies). So I don't know if this is my own fault or what.
Help? thanks.

Posts: 1 | From: Boston | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pill may not resolve every menstrual complaint. When it does or does not really depends on what issue you are having and why.

Given the history of your menstrual pain, I'd strongly suggest seeing an OB/GYN to have a good look at you and also get a good health history from you to evaluate this situation.

Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.