Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Uh-Oh

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Uh-Oh
LevitationNation
Neophyte
Member # 43099

Icon 4 posted      Profile for LevitationNation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds so stupid, but that's just me. As I am very forgetful I set my pill out on my bedside table, with my other medicine to take in the morning when I wake up. Because it's summer and I'm waking up at different times, it is even harder to remember it and today I went into my drawer and decided to have a look to see how many pills I have left in that packet, and noticed that I have missed three - missed one on thursday and friday, took one on saturday and missed one on sunday, and as I was with my boyfriend two of those days, I had had sex without a condom, at least twice...so I guess I'm just asking, how high is the risk?
Posts: 23 | From: Northern Ireland | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Missing two pills in a row calls for a backup method for 7 days, which I'm taking you didn't use. The third missed pill, while it wasn't consecutive, does add up to reduce protection, since those 7 days are necessary to re-establish protection. Did you make up those missed pills? What week in your pill cycle is this? Both those factors affect how risky this was.

I strongly suggest you get emergency contraception. Make sure in the meantime that if you want to continue using the pill, to take one active pill daily until you can ask your doctor/nurse what to do. Most recommend that when you miss this many pills, you keep taking the rest of the active pills in the pack, then skip the 7 day break and go straight into a new pack. This is important because you need to take 21 active pills in a row to protect from ovulation, which could happen due the missed pills.

[ 07-06-2009, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: -Lauren- ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LevitationNation
Neophyte
Member # 43099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LevitationNation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont have any breaks or inactive pills in my packet, cause I am on a POP.
I didn't use any back up methods and didn't make up the pills, because until today I didn't know I had missed them [Frown]

Posts: 23 | From: Northern Ireland | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So unfortunately, that means that you likely have had a level of risk you would not have had were the pills taken properly.

With POPs, you can't make up missed pills the same way you can with a combined pill regardless: if you miss a pill, even one, you need to use a backup method for the whole rest of that pill pack. POPs are also WAY more important to take on time than combined pills, so it's sounding to me like this might not be a very good method for you. I'd be happy to discuss other options with you if you like.

I'd suggest getting emergency contraception if you want to reduce your risk and doing that ASAP: as in, today, ideally.

And per moving forward with your pills, just keep taking one a day at this point, and use a backup method, for sure, until you are a week into your NEXT pack of pills. But it also sounds like so long as you are using this pill, since you often forget, it might be wisest to just have your partner get in the habit of using condoms as a backup full-stop from here on out.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67053 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.