Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Does the depression go away?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does the depression go away?
ToughToffee
Activist
Member # 39608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ToughToffee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ask so many questions on here *sigh*
I have been having mood swings from Yaz and bouts of depression. Not severe, but I just want to curl in bed and not do anything. I have had random crying as well and a pretty low sex drive. I am usually a very happy and horny person. I was expecting a few mood swings and a bit lower sex drive, but not this. I know some physical side effects of bc (nausea, bloating, headaches, ect) go away or lessen after a few months, but what about the emotional side effects? I have PCOS so I am weary of switching from Yaz to something else as it is my best shot at controling facial hair and such, so is there a chance these emotional effects will lessen over time?

Posts: 46 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you have depression at all before you started using the Yaz?

How long have you been using it now?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ToughToffee
Activist
Member # 39608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ToughToffee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am on my second pack now. it started about 2 weeks in. I have always been a very happy, stable, rational person. I didn't think it was a major problem until a few days ago. Today, I had a pretty bad sad episode at my boyfriend's house. Usually a good cuddle with him can easily bring me out of the worst of moods, but not today. We have a wonderful, stable relationship of about 2 years and I love him to pieces. Lately nothing can brig me up except time. Not a warm bath, cuddles, or even a king size slab of dark chocolate. I feel bad, then my mood rubs off on those who try to cheer me up because their best efforts are completly fruitless. I would immediatly switch pills- if Yaz wasn't dubbed the best PCOS treatment out there.
Posts: 46 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so it sounds like it's pretty clearly the pill.

You know, other pills have been used for PCOS treatment, and to be honest, while yes, Yaz is very anti-androgenic, the marketing for Yaz dubs it the best thing since sliced bread, period. I won't be surprised to hear them advertising it can alleviate world hunger and create world peace soon, given the way they have been going nuts to try and sell it.

Point it, how a given med is dubbed often has a LOT to do with money and sales, and not so much to do with how good it really is for any given thing. Plus, it is not that different from a whole bunch of other brands, and while this one might do you well with the PCOS, if it's creating a whole bunch of new, unpleasant symptoms, that only gets you so far.

So, I'd suggest having a chat with your healthcare provider about it at this point.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ToughToffee
Activist
Member # 39608

I lol'd. I am getting tired of seeing those stupid Yaz commercials every commercial break. What really drives me twards Yaz though (and Yasmin for that matter) is that they are the only bc's with progestins derives from spirolactone, a very popular (and effective, from what I have seen in some friends taking it) drug for PCOS used alone. I do already see a differnce in body hair and acne, albeit mild. I really want something that can help with those problems without causing havoc on me emotionaly. I have to get bloodwork done tommorow, I'll bring it up there. I just wanted to weigh my options beforehand.
Heather
Member # 3

My understanding, though, is that it's common for spirolactone to be prescribed by itself with other oral contraceptives, so that should be an option, too, no?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

ToughToffee
Activist
Member # 39608

I would take spiro if it wasn't for the libido issues. Yaz has already taken my libido down to zilch. Any more anti-androgens and I will be practically be repulsed by sex. I want to be on bc just in case and I would like some "period control" as well.
I am getting off Yaz next week when I get bloodwork. I am getting worse, I am getting paranoia. Last night driving home from my boyfriend's house I kept imagining scenes with me getting in a wreak and dying. I had to pull over just sat there and cried for about 10 minutes and then just snapped out of it. I'm going to try Ortho-Cyclen next. Doc says it is also great for PCOS and also has a tiny bit of androgenic activity (unlike totally anti-androgenic) for a bit more libido, more estrogen to help with the 2 months of breakthrough bleeding, and less progestin to help with the depression and moods.

Heather
Member # 3

I think your doctor's suggestion sounds perfect.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

ToughToffee
Activist
Member # 39608

ahhh I really hope it works :\ Thanks again!
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, if you like the Ortho-Cyclen, but don't find it doing exactly as much as you'd like for the PCOS, then I'd go ahead and talk to your doctor about adding some separate spirolactone. I know Heather already mentioned it to you...but do be clear that by adding it separately, your doctor can better control the amount of spiro you're getting to minimize the side effects.

I was on OrthoTri-Cyclen and spirolactone for a while several years ago (not for PCOS, but for an acne issue). We had to change the dosage on the spirolactone several times before we got it to a place where I wasn't having side effects.

Adding the spiro to Yaz would definitely not be a good idea, based on what you've already said. But keep in mind that adding it to a different pill (like your OrthoCyclen) might not have so many of the bad side effects.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.