Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Birth Control Not Working?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Not Working?
Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on the pill- Ortho Tri-Cyclen- and I take it every day at seven in the morning. This month, however, I took the pill and hour an a half late, AND skipped one pill, which I took the next day along with the one I was to.

Because I recently started having sex again I guess I'm just a tad bit paranoid, but... I'm took my fourth white "withdrawl", or period, pill this morning, and I haven't started or had any signs of my period coming.

We were always safe when having sex, and if I had any risk, it was minimal. So, do you think my birth control isn't working? Or should I go take a test? I wouldn't worry so much, but I usually start on Monday or Tuesday. And since this is my third month on it, and the other two were normal..?

[ 06-24-2009, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Typical Young and Dumb Teenager? ]

--------------------
Young and Dumb.
"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go." - Keith Urban

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have a three hour window during which you can take your pill and consider it 'on time', so taking it an hour and a half after your pill time isn't late at all. That's totally fine.

It's also okay to have one late (as in, more than 12 hours past your pill time) or missed pill in a cycle. If you miss another pill, you'll want to back up with condoms for the rest of this pack, though.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started later that day. I guess I was just stressing a little. [Wink]

And we ALWAYS use condoms for back up. I couldn't handle all the anxiety I'd experience if we didn't. But thanks for the information.

--------------------
Young and Dumb.

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 37530

Okay so, I started Wednesday.... and then I went off Saturday morning/day. Saturday evening I started again. I took my the first pill of my new pack at 7am this morning (Sunday), and when I woke up again around 9:30 I was still off. But I went to the bathroom around one this afternoon and I was back on, and now I'm off again. What's going on? I thought I was suppose to have my period on my "sugar pill" week. I keep going on and off, on and off. This is my third month taking the same pills. Should I talk to my doctor, or is this normal?

[ 06-28-2009, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: Typical Young and Dumb Teenager? ]

--------------------
Young and Dumb.

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes if you miss taking a pill on the day that you normally would, but take it the next day with another - you will have a withdrawal bleed that's a little different than normal. It's also not abnormal to notice changes in bleeding patterns the first few packs. And too, at the end of the cycle it does happen where part of the day you're bleeding and part of the day you're not. If you continue to have bleeding later in the month that's heavier than spotting,you may want to just check in with your doctor.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.