Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Birth Control Compromised

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Compromised
Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay so, I've recently became sexually active again, and by that, I mean I started having sex again.

I'm on birth control and I take it every day between 7am to 7:15am. One day this month, though, I took it at 8:30am. Do you think it compromised it's effectiveness at all if it was just that one day?

My main concern is that I recently got a bladder infection. As you can imagine, I'm been on the toilet peeing little tads here and there, then a random regular pee occasionally, for the last three days, and that was really frustrating so I started taking the medicine AZO two or three times a day, although it's not really helping all that much. Do you think the medicine or the way the bladder infection is making pee and stuff compromised/will compromise the pill?

--------------------
Young and Dumb.
"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go." - Keith Urban

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A difference of an hour or an hour and a half won't affect efficacy - that's fine.

As for AZO - I'm assuming you mean Azo-Standard? It should say 'phenazopyridine' somewhere on the box. It looks like it's not a drug we prescribe in the UK, as I couldn't find it in any of my drug textbooks. However, none of the quite detailed drug information I could find online mentioned anything about intereference with contraceptive pills alongside the other side effects.

My instinct is that if the drug would interact with the Pill, it should say so in the leaflet they give you with the box, so check that to be sure. However, and please stop me if this gets too technical:
- The two main groups of drugs that interfere with the pill are those drugs that induce hepatic enzyme activity (that is, liver drugs), and broad spectrum antiobiotics.
- Azo is an analgesic or painkiller, so I can't see any reason why it would interact with your Pill.
- However, what I'm wondering is, have you been prescribed anything for the bladder infection itself? Some drugs given for that, like ampicillin or amoxicillin, are these broad spectrum antibiotics that will interfere with your Pill.

I hope that answers your question - like I say, none of the things you've said sound like they'd compromise your contraception, provided you're not taking anything else for the UTI.

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I didn't go to the doctor for my bladder infection to be given drugs. I get them once every few months for who knows what reason; so, it's not really that big of a deal.

But thank you so much. Your answer is greatly appreciated. [Smile]

--------------------
Young and Dumb.
"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go." - Keith Urban

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Typical, I would strongly suggest seeing a doctor about these UTIs, perhaps even a urologist if you're getting them so often. Untreated UTIs can spread to the kidneys, which can be very serious and even require hospitalization in some cases. Also, if you're getting UTIs so often, there may be an underlying problem that needs to be examined. I'm assuming by AZO you mean the AZO cranberry tablets? If so, know that those really do not treat existing UTIs, but only may help prevent UTIs. It's on the bottle, and there should also be a label that says the product has not been evaluated by the FDA and is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease. So if you want this to be diagnosed and treated properly (and hopefully avoid it from coming back over and over again), your best bet is to see a doctor.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.