Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » fertility times

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: fertility times
strumpet
Activist
Member # 36501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for strumpet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that really really knowing when you've ovulated requires all the checking your discharge, basal body temperature stuff, but I was wondering something. I get pretty noticeable cramps (mittelschmerz) right when I expect to be ovulating. It isn't debilitating or even really painful, just like a serious muscle tightening just inside one of my hipbones. I assume this has something to do with ovulation. How good of an indication of fertility would you say this is?
Posts: 61 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strumpet
Activist
Member # 36501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for strumpet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anyone?
Posts: 61 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strumpet: Just so we're clear on what type of an answer you're looking for - are you attempting to get pregnant, or to avoid pregnancy? While what you're describing may be indicative of ovulation, it also may not be. If you're tring to prevent pregnanct, you really don't want to leave it to chance. If this is what you're trying to do, would you like some help in finding a reliable birth control method(s) that would best fit you and your lifestyle/needs?

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strumpet
Activist
Member # 36501

No, we use a diaphragm and withdrawal right now, it works for us fine. This is mostly just scientific curiosity.
I was wondering because it coincides with thickened mucus and being super horny, and tends to happen around day 14.

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some women do have indicators like this, but it really varies from person to person. And because so many other things can cause the same feeling, it could be thought that's what it was on a particular month when it really wasn't. Though if someone were really wishing not to become pregnant - wouldn't be worth the chance of testing the theory. [Smile]

[ 06-01-2009, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Stephanie_1 ]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strumpet
Activist
Member # 36501

it does happen every month, seriously like clockwork. the only time it didn't happen was when i was on the pill.
is there a way to test it at all? like those ovulation kits, or by charting temperature etc?

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charting your cycle by basal temperature and cervical mucus is a good way to test your theory. [Smile] After a few months, when you've gone through enough cycles and gotten the hang of charting, you should be able to see if there's a correlation.

A good book to get you started with charting, if you're interested, is Taking Charge of Your Fertility, by Toni Weschler. You might also want to have a look at the Fertility Awareness Center site.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.