Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » help! bcp is messing up my period :(

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: help! bcp is messing up my period :(
across the universe
Neophyte
Member # 29307

Icon 9 posted      Profile for across the universe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay. i've been taking Nortrel 7/7/7 as a contraceptive method since February of this year. i am also a Sunday Starter. unfortunately, i am also not a perfect user, because i do sometimes miss pills, but when i do not, i try to take them at the same time every day.

in the three months I have taken this bcp, I have had no withdrawal bleeds, technically. The first month, February, i didn't begin my first-ever pack til the end of my cycle. in March i had no withdrawal bleeding, but only experienced a little spotting. now April has come, and I am experiencing terrible cramps and some spotting that could possibly develop into a bleed - though i am still mid-pack for this month.

is just a normal way of my body adjusting to bcp, or should i see a doctor?

--------------------
xx___be beautiful.

"those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Posts: 24 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, if I'm correct, you're currently on your third pack?

By that time, I'd say it could go either way. It's been long enough that it's not unreasonable for you to expect your body to have adjusted, but still a short enough time that it could just be your body adjusting. Also, missing pills could very easily cause the symptoms you're describing.

I'd finish out this cycle, and then see how you're doing. If you still don't have a significant bleed at the end of this pack, I'd suggest checking in with your doctor.

Have you considered hormonal methods that you don't have to remember each day? You mentioned that you're having difficulty remembering, and using something like the ring could solve that problem.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
across the universe
Neophyte
Member # 29307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for across the universe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, you're right, third pack.
i'm experiencing a withdrawal bleed right now, actually. but weirdly, i'm in the middle of my pack, so i kinda just kept going with the pills :/

i might actually consider the ring, because i'm finding bcp really hard to keep track of.

thanks.

--------------------
xx___be beautiful.

"those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Posts: 24 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Particularly if you are using the pill as your primary method of birth control, switching to something that works better with your lifestyle/habits/personality is probably a really good choice.
Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.