Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » the pill vs. a never ending phobia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: the pill vs. a never ending phobia
Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my mom and I were talking today, and she said she'd bring me to get on the pill this upcoming Tuesday. The thing is, while I really want to be on it for my period and as back up protection if I ever need it, I don't want to gain weight! Since I was in eighth grade, I've always worried about getting "fat". When I suddenly went from 100 to 110 over a course of a few months, I freaked out! I'm still freaking out!

Is there any pill that wouldn't cause weight gain and still be as effective? And I've heard some pill makes you lose weight every but your boobs, and you actually gain there. True?

--------------------
Young and Dumb.
"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go." - Keith Urban

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much of weight gain, like any other hormonal birth control side effect, is going to depend a great deal on your individual body and how it responds to a given formulation.

So no, there's not going to be one pill that definitely doesn't cause weight gain for everybody.

Have you talked with anyone about these body concerns you have?

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mom knows about my weight-conscious problem, and really, it's A LOT better than it use to be. I don't do any special diet or always watch what I eat, I'm just afraid of getting 'fat'. But because she doesn't really want me on BC, when I tried talking to her about how it might cause weight gain, she just said "yeah, that's one of the many side effects..".

I have a friend who was like 125/130 before she went on BC and now she's around 145/150. And I have another friend who took 10 pills out of one pack, and she gained 5 pounds. So, she stopped taking them.

Do low dosage pills works as well as high dosage pills when it comes to pregnancy prevention? Because a girl's doctor put her on a low dosage and told her to come back if she was planning on using it as contraception and not just for her period.

--------------------
Young and Dumb.

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMazy
Activist
Member # 36719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaisyMazy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually weight gain that can be attributed to the pill is only about 5lbs. So a weight gain of 20lbs is probably from a combination of factors. It is also not uncommon to gain a few pounds in your early teens.

A low dose pill has the same effectiveness as a higher dose pill unless you weigh over 200lbs (I forget what the exact number is.) So, fit for you it would be the exact same effectiveness as pregnancy prevention.

Posts: 74 | From: Austin, Tx | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 37530

Well, I guess if I lost a few pounds before starting it- 3 days- I could afford 5 pounds, or maybe I'll just start going to the gym. That way it's good for my heart, too..

Thank you.

--------------------
Young and Dumb.

DaisyMazy
Activist
Member # 36719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaisyMazy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no healthy way to lose five lbs in three days, and any sort of thing you would do to lose this weight would likely not be a sustainable weight loss. When you lose weight from fasting or other drastic measures you generally gain it back rather quickly. Again, it would NOT be safe.

I think I should clarify not everyone who goes on the pill gains five pounds. What I meant was that those for those who gain weight 5lbs is about the maximum that is attributable to the pill. It is okay to talk to the Dr about your worries of side effects by the way.

Do you want to talk about more about your body concern issues that seem to be at the root of this?

Posts: 74 | From: Austin, Tx | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, to answer your previous question: birth control pills, no matter how high or low the dose of hormones, are intended to prevent pregnancy. There are no birth control pills that are 'too low' to prevent pregnancy.

And not all pills will cause weight gain for everyone. It's often a matter of trial and error to find the pill that's right for you, but you can find a brand that works just for you.

However, if weight gain is such a issue for you, you might also think about not using a hormonal method of bc, but going for a barrier method instead. If you want some info on that, we can definitely help you out.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 37530

DaisyMazy, I didn't really mean losing five pounds in 3 days, although that would be extremely nice. I'm aware that it wouldn't be healthy.

And you know, honestly, I think the reason I'm so weight-conscious is because of my dad. The summer before eighth grade we really got into it, and he called me pretty much every dregrading thing he could think of. It REALLY beat down on my confidence, especially I had just turned 13 a few months earlier and everything made an impression on me, but I went to counseling.. Something I've done on and off pretty much my entire life. Besides my body-concern, though, I'm really all right with everything else. (But it could also be because I have a 'slight' case of OCD. I was diagnosed when I was in sixth grade, after washing my hands until they bled.)

I'm not sure how I would talk to my doctor about it being afraid to gain weight, especially since my mom is going to be with me and doesn't want me on it in the first place. She did say we're going to the doctor and not just the health clinic, though, which makes me kind of nervous because I really don't want to deal with the whole gyno crap right now..

September, I'm not currently sexually active. My boyfriend and I broke up a month ago after dating a year and half.. And I'm not really looking to get into another serious relationship for a while, which is the only was I would personally feel comfortable having sexual relations with anyone. So, it's not just for protection. My period tends to be kind of random at times, and because of that slight case of OCD, I get really aggravated with myself, which makes me take it out on others. However, since I've been doing more partying than I probably should be lately, it never hurts to have something in case something would happen..

[ 03-08-2009, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Typical Young and Dumb Teenager? ]

--------------------
Young and Dumb.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.