Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » birth control/drinking

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: birth control/drinking
Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last day of my period was January 21st, and I last had sex on the 23rd, with my ex. To my knowledge, I donít think the condom slipped or broke and I believe he pulled out before he came. Lately, though, Iíve been feeling ďdifferentĒ- my stomach feels Ďheavyí, I get nauseous at random times during the day (including in the morning and at night), I have small pains on my lower stomach (not like cramps) randomly, also, I feel like Iím bloated (but not like Iím about to start), no normal signs of my period, etc. Now, Iím aware that my period isnít late, and that worrying can delay my period. I also know that itís unlikely that I would feel any symptoms this early, but my ex heard that I was pregnant today from another guy friend, who was just joking and said it was a rumor going around- but my ex didnít know that- and when he confronted me about it, he seemed kind of nervous, like maybe there was something I didnít/donít know. This, plus the fact that three other girls that I know have gotten pregnant in the last two months, really has me paranoid. I plan on going get a pregnancy test if I donít start by the 20th, but I PRAY THAT I DO! (I not really looking for advice just yet. I guess it just goes along with what Iím about to ask.)

Now, because all this crap, I have a question.. My mom DOES plan on putting me on birth control at the end of March/beginning of April. Now that I am single and about to get my license, Iíll probably be partying more, which means Iíll also probably be drinking more. Would this compromise the pills effectiveness (saying that I donít throw up)? I donít plan on having sex for a good while, but if anything were to happen, no matter the situation, I would want to be protected as much as possible. I DO NOT want to have this worrying again.

Also, if someone is a about three weeks to a month pregnant, and they drink alcohol (enough to get them drunk), will it affect the baby? What about the pill?

--------------------
Young and Dumb.
"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go." - Keith Urban

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to try not to focus too much on this sentence, "Now that I am ...about to get my license, Iíll probably be partying more," but I hope you do realize that it's a pretty disturbing one.

Understand that per our guildeines, we can't counsel users about illegal activity, which underage drinking is.

But in general, no, drinking does not have an impact on the effectiveness of the pill. (However, drinking does tend to influence the soundness of sexual decisions people make.) Drinking at any point of a pregnancy certainly can, however, impact a developing fetus. The pill has not been shown to. But too, if these are new partnerships, one presumes you'd be using condoms, and pregnancy using both of those methods is highly unlikely.

In terms of your first paragraph, one thing I can suggest is that when condom use is involved, you be involved with it: you watch to see if someone is putting it on, you check the condom with them when it comes off. I don't see any cause to worry your ex-boyfriend wasn't honest in what you have said, but it's a good general rule, in my book, to be directly involved with whatever methods or practices are about reducing your own risks.

I can't know about what the situation was with your condom of if there was a break or slip: that's only something you and the guy can know.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me ē Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okey dokey. Thank you, Heather. (and from what I remember, we didn't have any malfunctions with the condom. I just don't exactly recall if we both checked it or if it was just him. I might just call and talk to him about everything tonight, even though calling him in general is going to be awkward.)

--------------------
Young and Dumb.

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is always awkward to have to call an ex about this stuff, but it happens often enough, be it due to a pregnancy scare or pregnancy, or sexually transmitted infections that show up on tests after a breakup.

So, I hear you, way awkward, but it sounds like you could use some confirmation to feel better.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me ē Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I didn't talk to him, but I text him. He said as far as he knows the condom didn't break or slip or anything. So, that I guess that should make me feel a little better... but not really. I guess I'm just a worrier.

He did say he wanted to talk to me tonight, but because he was at his friends, I said no. He may call tomorrow, though. So, we'll see how that goes. Anyway, I'm about to post another question on a different topic. I just want to make sure I keep things in the right thread(s).

Edit: Where would that be? I'm looking for some to find me (links) of cartoon images of chlamydia, as well as real ones. It's for school, though, and I don't exactly want to have to draw a penis/vagina with discharge coming out... I have the info I need. I just need the pics, or links to the pics rather. (I searched google. Nothing "good" came up for me, though.)

[ 02-16-2009, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Typical Young and Dumb Teenager? ]

--------------------
Young and Dumb.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.