Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Birth control BS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control BS
Britt_16
Neophyte
Member # 18507

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Britt_16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I am posting this in the right place, but here goes.

I just recently made acquaintance with a 26 year old girl who is married to a 45 year old man. She is fun to be around, and extremely open about her sex life. Maybe tooooo much for my comfort. But anyway, she infomed me the other day that all of her children were conceived while she was on BC pills (she has 4, 2 were twins). She told me that her twins were conceived while on BC pills and condoms! Now, I politely told the girl I have been on BC pills for 3 years and never gotten pregnant, even without condoms. Her reply? "Your man is infertile, my old man does a better job"

Does this sound HIGHLY uninformed to anyone else? This sounds terribly fishy to me. I am calling BS on this story!

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Well it sounds, if she did get pregnant while on the birth control pill + condoms, that the condoms have failed (slipped off or tear) a few times in addition to her not taking the birth control pill properly and missing pills.

Otherwise, when you are both using the condom properly (and it does not fail) + the birth control pill which you take properly, the probabilities of getting pregnant are close to zero.

You might want to take a look at those links:

The buddy system

Birth control bingo

[ 02-15-2009, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As cool said, the most likely reasoning would be that one or both of the methods were used inconsistently or incorrectly...either deliberately, accidentally, or because somebody (or both) did not know how to correctly use their methods.

To be fair as well though, there are some women for whom hormonal methods (either all or just certain ones) simply do not work. We don't know exactly why this happens, save that it likely has something to do with the way the individual woman's body deals with the hormones. Certainly, this is not going to the be normal or average occurrence...we're talking about a very small minority here.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and I'd add that it not being suggested to her by child 2 or 3 that the pill clearly wasn't working for her would be unusual.

But condoms + the pill failing four times in perfect use? I do think it's safe to presume that's not likely to be authentic.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Britt_16
Neophyte
Member # 18507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Britt_16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She has also told me she is "baby obsessed"... this makes me also think she is not using things correctly on purpose if you get my meaning.

Her husband keeps telling me "birth control is a scam, and condoms have holes in them" and I just keep trying to tell them both the error in their ways. It just frustrates me how they keep making comments like this. This proves that not only young people are badly informed.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.