Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » the quest continues--help?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: the quest continues--help?
strumpet
Activist
Member # 36501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for strumpet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey all
finally got my hands on a milex diaphragm. thing is, apparently no one makes spermicidal jelly in canada anymore. one drug store was carrying foam, i don't suppose that could work? can you help me find spermicide to use with my diaphragm?
thanks

Posts: 61 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first thing I'd do is ask a pharmacist about it: it may be behind a counter or something.

If that doesn't work, you can order it online.
Here's one site selling the type that I've used before
http://www.shopinprivate.com/orvagconjelf.html and here's another site
http://www.planetrx.com/shop/detail.cfm?sku=A1245&rfr=YAH&zmam=1000941&zmas=26&zmac=109&zmap=A1245

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and you can totally just use google to find more. That's how I found those.
Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, if your pharmacy does not carry spermicidal jelly, you should be able to get them to special order it for you.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strumpet
Activist
Member # 36501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for strumpet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the thing is, ortho doesn't make the stuff anymore. i just want to kick that company right now. so yeah, i did manage to find it available online (huzzah!) but once their stock runs out, i and a load of other women in canada are going to be SOL. what's the next step here?
thanks for the prompt reply, too.

Posts: 61 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Well, at least here in the US, I've been told by pharmacists that I should be able to get it without a problem. No hint about them not making it any more. They also do make diaphragms themselves--I just got one of their brand in December. They recently made their diaphragm to be latex free, so it was off the market for quite some time, but it's back now. I don't understand why the company would make diaphragms and not the stuff to go with it.

So my experience: no trouble obtaining this spermicide recently (in the past six weeks) either in the US or New Zealand. I don't know why you can't seem to find it in Canada. There are also plenty of other brands you can look into. Can you ask the doctor who prescribed the diaphragm to recommend a pharmacy?

All of that said, with something that's OTC in most of the western world, and is distributed *in the same box* in the two English speaking countries I've been in in the last month, you really, really should be able to order it from somewhere.

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean Ortho in Canada doesn't make it anymore? Because I know they do still make it, for sure, and I'd also be very, very shocked to discover that NO company in Canada or which distributes TO Canada makes any kind of spermicidal jelly.

Can I ask where you heard Ortho isn't making it anymore? I can't find any announcement of that anywhere, in the US or in Canada.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strumpet
Activist
Member # 36501

i gather the news hasn't really been spread. most pharmacists i talked to just said they didn't ortho diaphragms or bring them in anymore. finally one of them did some checking for me and found that they weren't making them anymore from a list of discontinued products they got from the company. when i got fitted my GP didn't know--i got an apologetic phone call later the same day. she sent me to the local birth control clinic, where they've managed to get milex ones in, but the clinic tells me that ortho doesn't make gynol or whatever its called anymore. they're working at bringing in something equivalent.
neither the diaphragm nor the jelly are listed on the ortho-janssen product directory on their website.
that's the story as i know it. maybe its a very recent development?

atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Well, like I said it *was* discontinued for a while while they redesigned it to be latex free. The new version has only be available in the US since late November/December. It's HIGHLY unlikely that they've stopped making it so soon after a release.

What may be going on is that the lag on them is different in Canada--the new version has yet to come in for some reason. The company may have also had a lag on distributing other products for some other reason in Canada as well. BUT, I'm convinced that something will reappear soon.

I'm really only so convinced of this because I have my new diaphragm right here. I can tell you all sorts of things about it... like how it was made in Brazil about six months ago...

What I would do is order spermicide online for now and wait a few months until the company can sort out any delivery problems that they're having. I really don't think anything has been discontinued permanently. In the US, I've only been able to find gynol "Extra Strength" if that's helpful information...

Heather
Member # 3

You know, I'm out of town the first few days of next week, but I'm going to see if I can't just contact a rep at Ortho directly so that everyone can have some answers on this.

I'll pop back in the topic if and when I hear back.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

strumpet
Activist
Member # 36501

that would be grand. at this point i just want to know what's going on. thanks!
Heather
Member # 3

I should have contact information for our rep at the clinic (just thought of that a couple hours ago) tomorrow or Monday, though I likely won't be able to call until I get back into town from a brief work trip on Wednesday or Thursday.

I want to know what's going on, too, since obviously a huge country suddenly having no access to a staple of contraception -- especially if, as I think you're saying, you two express you would also not then have ANY other spermicidal jelly, in this brand or any other -- would not be a small deal.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

strumpet
Activist
Member # 36501

do we have a verdict?
Heather
Member # 3

We don't yet have a rep to talk to, so nope, not yet.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

strumpet
Activist
Member # 36501

did eventually get some spermicide from an internet source based in the US. it and all the sources suggested still carry gynol. huh. well, that's good then. guess i'll just keep buying online...

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.