Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Is lubrication actually necessary?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is lubrication actually necessary?
Yasmin
Activist
Member # 32631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yasmin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boyfriend and I have been having sex, and we have never used lubrication, or even talked about it. Once I was a little dry during sex, but that was when we were first having it, and now it seems like my own natural lubrication is fine.

My question is: Is store-bought lubrication necessary for sex? Because we've been doing very well without it. Also, I'm not sure where we would get it, and wouldn't it interrupt the whole moment by stopping and lubing up before having sex?

It all just seems a little unecessary to me, but I'd love to hear your opinions.

Posts: 97 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, lube isn't something you are obliged to use when having sex if that's what you are wondering but it is generally suggested.

Why ? Because vaginal lubrication often isn't enough all by itself in term of lubrication in most cases. So lube helps increase the lubrication-- therefore lessen the friction-- which can result in things feeling a whole lot more comfortable and smoother for a lot of people. Vaginal lubrication generally tends too to dry out fast.

Also, it's important to consider, mostly if you are using condoms and those are not couple with another birth control method, that lube decreases the chances of condom breaking. So that's another reason for using lube for most people.

Lube is a bit like putting a condom on, it doesn't necessarily interupt the ''whole moment you know''. It can just become routine and part of the whole moment in itself and it can be fun too. And it's mostly like only a matter of seconds or minutes each time so that is a really small price to pay, if that is one... for all the benefits it can have [Smile]

Where can you get lube ? Simply at any pharmacy that sells condoms next to them in the condom section. Or you can also find it at some stores and groceries if you prefer.

BTW, if you intend to buy one, just a small note, it's generally suggested to buy water-based lube. Astroglide, Liquid Silk and JY kelly are few suggestions among all others.

[ 03-26-2007, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ultimately, as far as I'm concerned it doesn't even matter if it's neccessary. I mean, hot fudge isn't necessary on ice cream, but it sure can make a good thing even better.

In my book, often the slipperier sex is, the better. Pausing for two seconds to add more lube is no more an interruption -- how is adding good stuff that enhances pleasure interrupting? -- than pausing to adjust your position, tell a joke, give a partner direction, move unto a new activity, whisper a sweet something, grab a glove or a toy, or heck, even stopping for a sec to use the washroom. [Smile]

All of this sort of stuff is part of having sex, and here's hoping it lasts more than a moment! [Razz]

[ 03-26-2007, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me ē Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68208 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yasmin
Activist
Member # 32631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yasmin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks a lot!
I'm planning on mentioning that to my boyfriend when we start having sex again.

(He wants to take a month-long break)

Posts: 97 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guiltygard
Neophyte
Member # 33270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guiltygard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In england is it the same that lube sits near condoms in a pharmacy and where abouts are condoms in the pharmacy then?

--------------------
A guy walks up to me and goes "big shoes, big shoes, please!"
Whats up with that?

Posts: 37 | From: surrey | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCFantasy23
Neophyte
Member # 37462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JCFantasy23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I'm the differing opinion here, but I wouldn't touch lube for vaginal sex. I get wet instantly and usually my over moisture sometimes feels like it makes it too slippery for me. Too much lubrication can result in less friction.

I know that when a friend uses lube her husband said the same thing when she used too much (she has a problem with dryness)

I had experimented with spermicides when I was younger, and ended up stopping them because they made things too moist and the sex less enjoyable.

However, many women do better with lube, but it's not always the case by far, no. If you don't need store-bought products and chemicals, and your body is fine the way it is naturally, then I wouldn't worry about it. There are no rules with sex.

Posts: 30 | From: Central Florida | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JC - with condom usage, friction is actually not such a great thing, as it's friction that can cause a condom to break.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9186 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCFantasy23
Neophyte
Member # 37462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JCFantasy23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, never knew that. Thanks for the information September.
Posts: 30 | From: Central Florida | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCFantasy23
Neophyte
Member # 37462

Ah, my edited time lapsed so have to start another new post. When things are overlubed and less friction I just don't feel the same thing. Maybe it's because of my size or the guys, I dont know. The person I'm with now is on the small side. I'm sure if the guy is big more lube is always better.
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JC ~ There's a bit of a texture difference between different types of lubricant - and often times it takes a bit of experimenting to find the one that's perfect for you. My boyfriend and I used to use KY until I saw a lot of the posts Heather and other volunteers gave on the site listing Astroglide and Liquid Silk. We decided to try out a few different condom-safe brands and found that there was a big difference between the way intercourse felt between the different brands. Have you tried either of those two? You may also find that itís more the type of lubricant you decide to use rather than just the fact of using it period for intercourse.

As far as using condoms itís really a safety factor. Condoms tend to have a higher breakage rate due to the friction when a water-based lubricant isnít used. Additionally, there should be a couple of drops placed on the inside of the condom which will not only make it feel better for a male partner but also helps avoid breakage.

Remember also that most women actually donít reach orgasm from intercourse alone. Many donít really find it all that interesting or satisfying all by itself and need extra stimulation. Iíve attached some articles from the main site you may find interesting.

The Great No-Orgasm-From-Intercourse Conundrum
Condom Basics: A User's Manual
Condoms with Lubricant

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.