Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » The End of The Period??? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The End of The Period???
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With my first hormonal BC, I had the pill, which controlled my periods, more which i liked. BUT... when I got on Depo, my period stopped and I was on it for almost 2 1/2 years. I LOVED IT. I got off of it in September due to FDA's heath concerns, so I went back to the pill, but since January, i've skipped my periods. I just start a new pack after I've had the last pink pill before the green ones. I just love NOT having my period just as the same way as Peaches does.

--------------------
~Jules

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get really terrible cramps (often so much so that I have to stay in bed for a day) and back pains when I'm on my period, and pretty bad mood swings. It's never been a very fun experience, but still, somehow, it makes me feel good. When I'm on my period, as corny as this may sound, I feel like a woman. It's just so natural and right. I feel strongly that it's not something that should be messed with. While I understand that the pill might work for some people, for me, personally, it's something I'm very against. I've been getting my period since I was about 10, and I'll stick with it 'til the end, thank you very much!
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing to remember is that often, when you're younger, your periods are going to be more intense and painful than they are even just in your mid-twenties. Nearly every user who weighs in pro-cessation at Scarleteen isn't even over 21.

And lifestyle issues make a HUGE difference: diet, exercise and general daily activity (read: drive less!), environmental issues and what's being used FOR menstrual flow can all be really pivotal. Same goes with making sure there's not gynecological health issues at play, like fibroids.

I can appreciate the fact that for some women, menstrual cessation is going to increase quality of life, and in some cases, general health.

What I CANNOT appreciate or support is a) jumping to cessation before really exploring those lifestyle changes, many of which are needed for overall health anyway and b) cessation without the proper long-term studies having been done to make that choice with, and/or without a really in-depth evaluation from an OB/GYN who is well-versed in menstrual maladies.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine who is a web designer and activist just forwarded me this excellent article from a web client of hers, Centre for Menstrual Cycle and Ovulation Research, which does a really nice job of summing up concerns, from a medical AND cultural perspective, about menstrual suppression:

http://www.cemcor.ubc.ca/articles/misc/manipulating_menstruation.shtml

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarHallie
Activist
Member # 27531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarHallie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually just wanted to say how much your first post in this topic made me admire you like, 2495709845932845 times more, Miz Scarlet. [Smile]

--------------------
"Sex without love is an empty experience, but as empty experiences go, it's one of the best."
-Woody Allen

Posts: 231 | From: California, USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

That's a lotta times! [Smile]

Thanks, Hallie: nice to wake up to something like that.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

StarHallie
Activist
Member # 27531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarHallie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome. A lot of what you say on this site, actually, has inspired me and changed a lot of my viewpoints on general things about life. [Smile]

I love having my period. Having my period seems to me the way my body tells me that it's healthy and working just fine. Having my period is symbolism to me that someday, because of this menstrual process, I will be able to have the children I've always dreamed of having. And, for me, after having some cervical complications, that's really quite exciting. And, of course, it gives me a reason to "girly bond" with my friends. "*Snicker* Let's go get cheescake, I'm on my period *Snicker*"...you know, that sort of thing. [Smile]

Tampons, Tampons. Whereabouts can I find quality organic tampons? I'd love to start using some after learning all I have about commerically-made tampons (which I adore, unfortunately).

And a note for this thread: Accupuncture and Chinese herbs do wonders for painful and heavy periods. My friend SWEARS by her Chinese herbs. Even if you aren't having issues with menstruation, take a trial trip to a certified accupuncturist: you might be surprised. They can usually help you TREMENDOUSLY with problems you never knew you'd be able to treat...all with natural herbs and the utilization of the natural energy flow via organ-based pathways in your body. It's fascinating, if nothing else!

--------------------
"Sex without love is an empty experience, but as empty experiences go, it's one of the best."
-Woody Allen

Posts: 231 | From: California, USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whereabouts can I find quality organic tampons?

Your best option is probably to check your local health food or whole foods shop, but some big supermarkets and pharmacies also stock them.

If you can't find anywhere local, you can order them online - Googling "organic cotton tampons" will find you various suppliers.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. So, I totally thought I had a reply to this--I occasionally catch myself hitting "go" instead of "add reply", so I'm guessing I did that. Again.

Anyway, Fred Meyers carries a good brand in their natural foods section, along with pads. It's about $5 a box, and if you don't care about applicators, than you can get an extra four per box.

Their parent company is Kroger, so you may have luck at any of these retailers.

Good luck!

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarHallie
Activist
Member # 27531

Thanks! I'll try a quikstop! [Wink] Kidding! We have a Cala pretty close. I'm excited now!

You'd think in hippy-city San Francisco, Costco would carry them [Smile]

[ 05-10-2006, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: StarHallie ]

--------------------
-Woody Allen

StarHallie
Activist
Member # 27531

I'm also thinking about the Divacup (after having to exorcise the tampax-is-the-only-way demons out of my head). If I start using NuvaRing, can I use both in conjunction (my period usually doesn't last longer than the withdrawl week of a hormone cycle, but just in case)?

--------------------
-Woody Allen

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It shouldn't be a problem. I've got a Diva, I'm also on the ring. My bleed doesn't really completely end until the first day of my new ring, but it's so light by then that wearing my Lunapanties is sufficient for that day. If having the ring in at the same time as a menstrual cup doesn't work out for you, it's always possible to just use organic pads for the last day if that's ever necessary, or invest in some washable cloth pads.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarHallie
Activist
Member # 27531

Okay, thanks! How do you like the Diva?

--------------------
-Woody Allen

logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a Mooncup not a Divacup (as I'm in the UK), but I'm another of the cup cheerleaders around here [Big Grin] . They can take a few tries to get the hang of, but they are seriously fabulous gadgets.

Check out the FAQs if you're interested - we've got a whole bunch of threads on menstrual cups, with lots of info on people's experiences:

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=22;t=000033

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

And here's the links to the mentioned stuff for you here:

Lunapanties: http://www.lunapads.com/products/lunapanties/
(the deluxe ones RULE, because you can just slip the liners out and replace with new ones as you soil them.)

Divacup: http://www.lunapads.com/products/divacup/

Madeline at Lunapads has been, for the record, one of our most ardent supporters at Scarleteen for years. She's wonderful people, who makes and distributes wonderful products, and is very committed to sound, sane women's health and sexuality information.

She's also literally the ONLY company ever to have the stones to run advertising here. (But this isn't an infomercial, I promise.) I also think they make the best washable products of any I have ever used: I've been using washable pads and such since 1987, so that's saying a lot, IMO.

If you purchase from her, leave a note in the comments that you're from ST: she's always very excited when younger women get on board with tossing aside the things that aren't good for their bodies, and if you have any questions at all, she's happy to answer them.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

StarHallie
Activist
Member # 27531

I will write her a note! I am buying a Diva right now. Im so totally excited about it. I'm SO ready to stop using tampax CRAP! This thing will pay for itself in 4 cycles for me. AWESOME.

And it comes with an adorable little bag for it! So fashionista.

[Smile]

--------------------
-Woody Allen

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm making the Diva switch myself soon. My only regret is that there are three other menstruating women in the house; I'd really like to throw that Costco-sized box of Tampax into a huge bonfire.

I mean, they make those things crappier and crappier as the years go by. The open-ended ones with cardboard applicators? "Rounded, comfortable tip", my arse. More like flattened, hard paper. Wanna see something scary? Take one out and soak it in a glass of water for just one hour and look at all the fibres it sheds. No wonder I'd get horrid problems after every period.

So yeah, that's my rant. I hate mainstream products, especially tampons. Eye twitch.

[ 05-12-2006, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarHallie
Activist
Member # 27531

Yah. My mom laughed at me when I told her she was buying me a Diva.

Then later she appologized and told me she and my dad were both proud of me for caring about my health. I gave her tons of information about the horrors of tampon use.

Needless to say, there will always be a Costco-sized box of tampax "pearl" (...OOOO ahhhh OOO ahhh.... wow..... so trendy!) tampons in their house. Good news! I don't live there!

Yah, about those fibers. After realizing I'm at risk of cancer having HPV, and realizing that reproductive cancer runs in my family....YOU BET i'm going to take measures to ensure my reproductive health. Even if it means throwing away a box of nice, reliable, convenient tampons.

I'm so eager to get my Diva in the mail!

[ 05-12-2006, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: StarHallie ]

--------------------
-Woody Allen

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.