Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Oops - diaphragm mistake!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oops - diaphragm mistake!
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did something rather silly today.

I put my diaphragm in late this morning for its usual use and subsequently forgot about it for several hours, as I usually do--even if the condom was sound and intact, color me paranoid. I figure it doesn't hurt, so long as I take it out before too long, and it might offer a little extra protection.

Well, it usually doesn't hurt, but later this afternoon I decided to go for a dip in the pool. It's summer and Florida, mid 90s Fahrenheit and humid, and I go swimming almost every day. The long and short is, I didn't think to take my diaphragm out beforehand. D'oh!

When I took it out this evening, a little pool of warm, chlorinated water trickled out with it, much to my dismay. While I'm grateful that the chlorine makes it fairly unlikely I've picked up random vicious bacteria, it seems it's probably also killed off my friendly acidophilus. Tomorrow morning I'm going to get some yogurt and attempt to stave off a yeast infection that seems to be developing already.

On the up side, I'll probably never do it again!

Anyway, for the few of you diaphragm users out there, something to think about. I don't have any official information about the advisability of having them in in a swimming pool, just my own experience and deduction.

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also wonder if the chlorine could harm the rubber of the diaphragm? I couldn't find any information about this. I know the chlorine levels in pools are pretty low, but diaphragms are pretty thin, too. Has your doctor said anything about this? I've never had a diaphragm so I don't know, but I'm curious!
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wondered about just that, too, Rizzo. And a google search on "diaphragm swimming pool" (or any variation of that) comes up with rather odd results.

I'd definitely recommed you inquire about this, eclipse. I'll see whether I can get hold of the doc at PP on Wednesday, after all, I am still playing with the thought of getting one one fine day, as a back up method. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

And if you do - keep us updated, will you?

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is awfully tough to find information about this. What I've found so far is that cervical caps are okay in pools, but condoms are not. Since both contain latex, I'm not sure who to believe. Does chlorine erode latex or not?
http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1794.html
http://www.cervcap.com/faqs.html

[This message has been edited by Rizzo (edited 06-09-2001).]

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.