Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Insteads??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Insteads??
DancingSunshine
Neophyte
Member # 2893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DancingSunshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I know a lot of you use Keepers and stuff. But what about Instead? Do they work? And where can I find them? When I was getting pads at the store with my mom, I looked for them but didn't see them.

------------------
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music!

Posts: 32 | From: Shoebox | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Voila!

Here is their website: http://www.softcup.com/, which includes a store locator.

And you can get a free sample sent to you by calling 1-800-INSTEAD.

Personally, I tried them a couple of times when they first came out and found that they leaked for me, a problem I don't have with washable pads, menstrual sponges or cotton tampons. And since when they leaked, there wasn't even that much in there, it's hard to say what's going on, but usually the case with something like this (including a diaphragm) is getting the art of inserting it just right down pat, so it's possible I didn't have that going.

Too, the nice thing about the keeper is that it's more environmentally friendly. but I'd consider Instead kind of like a test drive for entry-level cup users, so it's worth a try.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's nice to keep an Instead in your purse, so you don't have to be afraid of losing the Keeper, and they're a smaller initial investment, but they're nowhere near as good, IMO.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried those once. My mom bought them b/c she wanted to try them too ... we called them showercaps

But i don't use them. Getting it in was no problem and it didn't leak or anything ... Altho, when i went to take it out, i spilled the darn thing all over me. All over the toilet seat, my undies, eww ... what a mess that was. And i was at work ... I think i'll stick to tampons

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, i've always wondered how you avoid spilling blood all over yourself. my mom tried insteads, and she said it was gross.

i am the clumsiest person on earth. maybe i should stay far far away from little bowls of blood.

em

------------------
Once in awhile you get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

-The Grateful Dead

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I've never tryed them. I stick to pads only, cause tampons seemed a little odd feeling to me. My body is very intolerant. But I guess I would never try them, either. They sound a bit gross- little bowls of blood and bodily secretions contained inside of me? Uh-uh. I think I'll just stick to pads, thank you. And like smurfy said, accidents do happen, and for clumsy people like me, everything would end up a mess.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!

"At one point we decided to fight fire with fire. Well...basically...your house burned even faster."

"Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky1402:
But I guess I would never try them, either. They sound a bit gross- little bowls of blood and bodily secretions contained inside of me? Uh-uh.

Lucky, why would it be gross? Okay, making a mess and spilling the cup migth be a hassle. But wearing it - I mean, it's your menstrual blood, so where's the big deal? And does it really make a difference whether your menstual fluid is collected in a plastic or rubber cup or whether it's absorbed by a tampon or pad? I really don't think so.

Menstrual blood is natural and normal, and while I don't expect everyone to be in love with it, it certainly is nothing to be grossed out by. And it's not an attitude that should be promoted, I think.

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 04-12-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I see how you feel, but in my own opinion I find having my own menstrual fluid kept inside of me gross. It seems different than having on a pad or a tampon because they absorb, but in my own personal opinion I would not want my own bodily fluids kept inside me. Please feel however you would like to feel about it because that is your opinion, but I myself would not want to try it and that is my opinion. I never said that menstrual fluids are gross, I said that I wouldn't want them kept inside of me.

I'm sorry if you misunderstood.

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I kinda know what you mean Lucky...it is just a rather odd idea to begin with. I personally haven't tried it yet, but whenever I think about it, I get this odd mental picture of a china teacup full of menstral blood, lol.

I do want to try the Keeper one of these days though...assuming it's comfortable. But then I won't know until I try, will I?

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"What is the odds so long as the fire of soul is kindled..."
~Charles Dickens

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No worries, Lucky.
Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's odd how having liquid blood inside of you seems so different from having blood-soaked fabric inside of you. It's got a lot to do with what we're used to, I guess. I actually like seeing how much blood's in my Keeper, and knowing that it's still liquid; it seems more like menstrual blood that way to me. But a tampon always reminded me of first-aid.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rachel
Activist
Member # 1941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rachel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow never heard of that before! I just this year got my first period and have only tried pads. What other choices are there? I didn't know there was a lot of stuff you can use lol guess i should of looked into this stuff more. Hmm go figure and i always thought it was tampons or pads lol.
Posts: 64 | From: Long Island NY | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Hi Rachel,

unfair that no one tells you about all the alternatives you have, eh?

You basically can choose between:

*mass-produced tampons (the stuff you can buy everywhere, Tampax and all, many contain rayon)
*organic cotton tampons (made from pure cotton), available at natural health food shops)
*mass-produced pads (like always)
*organic cotton pads (same as with the cotton tampons)
*washable pads
*menstrual sponges
*Instead (one use menstrual cups)
*The Keeper (re-usable menstrual cup)

You'll find info on the whole deal on menstrual hygiene alternatives on page 5 of our "On the Rag" article.

For more info on washable pads and mentrual hygiene alternatives, have a look at ManyMoons;Gladrags and Lun a pads.

And all about theThe Keeper can be found right here.

Have fun exploring and learning about all the alternatives that you do have.

------------------
"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.