Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » ortho tricyclen lo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ortho tricyclen lo
king lear
Activist
Member # 37857

Icon 1 posted      Profile for king lear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you feel about this particular pill? Is it alright - safe to take?

http://www.thepill.com/thepill/

Will my period be different? Tell me everything you know (please!) I have read some of Birth Control Bingo before.

Posts: 47 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
uberfeminista
Neophyte
Member # 42209

Icon 1 posted      Profile for uberfeminista     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently taking Ortho Tricyclen Lo. I started about three months ago and I love it.

These are the effects I've noticed from taking it:

-Lighter, shorter periods (sometimes only 3-4 days)
-Regular periods (this was a huge reason for going on it in the first place)
-Virtually no cramps
-Cleared up my facial breakouts
-Lessened my PMS
-Gained a little weight (my doctor told me that taking it can sometimes make you hungrier but it's up to you whether you can curb that hunger or not. So the weight gain isn't directly FROM taking the pill, just the hunger. And I've heard from some people that they have no difference in weight or even a slight loss of weight).

So, overall, I really like it! But talk to your gyno about what she thinks...this was the first one my doc suggested, partly because it's my first time on birth control so I didn't need a super high dose.

Hope that helps [Smile]

Posts: 5 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMazy
Activist
Member # 36719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaisyMazy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you ask about any particular brand of pill you will get both rants and raves about it. There are so many different types of pills because our body chemistry varies from person to person. So some people will have a great experience with one pill, while others will not. All Birth Control Pills carry the risk of side effects, and if you experience them or not with a particular pill is tough to tell. Some people have to try a couple to find one that has the least side effects. (This does not mean that some pills are less effective then others in preventing pregnancy, they are all equally effective) The best thing to do is work with your health care provider who will be prescribing the pills to find the one best for you.

[ 02-25-2009, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: DaisyMazy ]

Posts: 74 | From: Austin, Tx | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, I'd definitely second Daisy. All commercially produced combination birth control pills will be equally effective and safe. It just depends on how a particular pill interacts with your body.

(That particular pill gave me cramps so terrible I couldn't walk, and made me throw up for days until I stopped taking it. But it might be the pill for you!)

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.