Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » About Nuvaring

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: About Nuvaring
Kotori
Activist
Member # 17839

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Kotori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everybody... been a while since I last posted on this forum [Smile] glad to be back!

My question has to do with the usual pregnancy paranoia. Even though I've never had a single problem using condoms, I can't help but get this nagging feeling of worry at the back of my mind after having any sort of sexual activity... so I was wondering about maybe starting to use Nuvaring, couple of questions on that:

1. Am I supposed to get an appointment with my gyno in order to get it/ is it better if I do? Or is it ok if I just get one at the pharmacy and put it in (regardless of the fact that it involves hormones)? I ask this b/c I'd rather not wait till my appointment date which will probably be ages from now [Wink]

2. Is it really THAT safe on its own? No need to use a condom with it?

3. I can't I picture the way it's supposed to sit inside you... does it sit alongside the vagina (from 'downwards' to 'upwards'), or rather perpendicular to it (with the cervix in the middle of it)? Or something in between? Cos I heard most ppl don't feel it, even during intercourse, but I can't see how. A picture would help lots [Big Grin]

Thx in advance!!

Posts: 80 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LondonBlue
Activist
Member # 38698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LondonBlue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi [Smile] I've been using NuvaRing for a few months now...I can tell you my experience, but I'm not an expert. [Smile]

1. You need a prescription to get it, which I'm pretty sure means you need to see your doctor. But I got the scrip from my regular physician, so if you can see him/her earlier, that might work.

2. When people ask me this, here is what I say: with perfect use, the effectiveness of the ring is basically the same as that of the pill. The difference is that it's a lot easier (I think) to use the ring perfectly than the pill, because all you have to do is put it in and take it out at the right time each month. Otherwise, it just takes care of everything on its own. I don't use condoms with it, and I'm a pretty paranoid person, if that says anything.

3. It's bigger than most people expect (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuvaring ), so I think it usually sits "downwards to upwards" as you said, rather than perpendicular. But for some people who want it really deep in there, it could probably sit that way. It doesn't matter where or how it's situated; it still works the same, so you don't have to worry about it in any case. For me, it sits "downwards to upwards" and it just kind of stays behind a little "shelf" based on the curve of my vagina.

There's a little animation on the NuvaRing website, if you go to this link and click where it says "Watch how easy it is to insert and remove NuvaRing." http://www.nuvaring.com/Consumer/aboutNuvaRing/simpleAndEasyToUse/index.asp

I hope that helped...and mods, feel free to edit this or whatever if I wasn't supposed to post these links. [Smile]

Posts: 96 | From: West Coast USA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.