Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Ortho Tri Cyclen-Lo vs. Loestrin 24 Fe?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ortho Tri Cyclen-Lo vs. Loestrin 24 Fe?
Just Add Water
Neophyte
Member # 24382

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just Add Water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on Loestrin 24 Fe for 6 months, but have multiple periods/spotting a month regardless of the fact that I'm taking my pills on time. So I called my gyno's nurse asking to change to something else, and they sent me a prescription for Ortho Tri Cyclen-Lo without telling me anything about it. I went online and read a lot of really scary reviews...women who had to go on antidepressants because of it...and MANY reviewers who actually turned to my own Loestrin to solve their issues with OTC-Lo. I know birth control works differently for each individual, but I was wondering if someone could give me an opinion on this proposed switch?
Posts: 2 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest you call your doctor and ask for an appointment to talk about your new prescription. While it's true that everyone reacts differently to each pill, it would be sound to have a conversation about your switch in prescription. You can also ask your doctors about the things you've found out about this pill and talk about whether that might be a risk for you.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightmyfire
Neophyte
Member # 35506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightmyfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually started off on Loestrin 24 Fe, and I was only on it for three months because I wouldn't get a withdrawal bleed but there'd be random brown spotting during the month and I hated it. (I'm one of those weirdos who loves getting her period, lol =P). My GYN switched me to OTC-lo, and so far it's been the best. I've had no mood swings, no weight gain, and all of my withdrawal bleeds have come super regularly.

I know not everyone reacts the same to these switches, but it was a good experience for me. Maybe it will be for you too. =)

Posts: 25 | From: VA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aimalicious
Activist
Member # 34100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aimalicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was on ortho for 6 months and I started bleeding.
I switched to Loestrin.
My gyno said it was probably because ortho tricylen Lo has differnt doses, while loestrin is the same.
Plus you only have 4 sugar pills instead of a week

Posts: 144 | From: MA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.