Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » wanting to start bc pills

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: wanting to start bc pills
teeniegirl04
Neophyte
Member # 38575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for teeniegirl04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so im considering taking the pill so i tried to do some research and ended up terrified! all im hearing is how much weight women gain from the pills! yikes! is this true?
Posts: 9 | From: CA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That really depends on your own body and how it reacts to the hormones. Usually, the weight gain is only about 5 pounds and it has to do with the fat cells expanding a bit (which is also why your breasts may appear larger). If it's really that big of an issue for you or if you'd just like to look at different options, you may want to take a look at Birth Control Bingo!

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
teeniegirl04
Neophyte
Member # 38575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for teeniegirl04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks! that was a really great page it helped some! = D
Posts: 9 | From: CA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SailorTsukino
Activist
Member # 39072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SailorTsukino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've been on the pill about 6 months and have gained about 10lbs unfortunatley but then again i think its because it has increased my appetite
if i had the will power i'd probably be the weight i started at i guess

Posts: 54 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
allik10
Activist
Member # 38302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for allik10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a different perspective here... I started BC pill around 6 months ago and have probably lost 5 pounds...I was anemic and had very long and heavy periods and I'm not an athlete by any means. I am short but definitely have curves and found that the pills did not have any impact on my weight. I think it also might have to do with my lighter periods = lighter pms if any = less sitting around eating for 5 days a month? Who knows, everyone's body is different but 5 pounds either way really shouldn't make you feel different about your image. Good luck!
Posts: 48 | From: USA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.