Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Switch of Birth Control brands =\

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Switch of Birth Control brands =\
beautifulS0LE
Activist
Member # 33229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beautifulS0LE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay,

So I was really happy with the birth control I was on before which was Sprintec. My OBGYN prescribed me Tri-Sprintec for my next 3 months worth of pills. What's the difference? When I'm through this months placebo do I just take the Tri-Sprintec like I would any new month? Does this affect pill effectiveness in any way? Sorry for all the questions [Frown]

Posts: 51 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Love-Life
Activist
Member # 37952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Love-Life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The difference is that the hormone levels in Tri-Sprintec vary during the cycle while in Sprintec, they remain static throughout the cycle.

With Tri-Sprintec, because of the varying hormone levels, some people have mood swings as a side effect.

You should start your first pill just like you would have started taking your next month of Sprintec, so the day after your placebo pills are gone.

Switching pills holds a small risk, and so its probably worth using a back-up method for the first week just in case. But because you already have been taking a hormonal method, your body has those hormones going through it and so the risk is low. But, in my opinion, its better to be safe than sorry.

--------------------
There is an upside to everything, sometimes you just have to turn it upside down to find it.

:-) Vikki (-:

Posts: 153 | From: British Columbia | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At Scarleteen, we do suggest that when starting the pill or when switching to a different pill that you use a back-up method like condoms for the first month just to be on the safe side. You can always call up your gynecologist and ask him/her to make sure. There's nothing wrong with calling your doctor to ask a question like that. That's part of why they're there!

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.