Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Changed pills to a "weaker" one

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Changed pills to a "weaker" one
libertinedreamer
Neophyte
Member # 37328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libertinedreamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I asked to change pills away from Microgynon due to side effects and have now been put on Femodette which the nurse referred to as "weaker" and I've found that it has almost half the oestrogen and progestegon.

At the time i was just very happy to change but now I've read the booklets about them I'm wondering how Femodette can be as effective with so many less hormones (and if it is, why bother with so many in Microgynon??)

Sorry if these are too medical questions to ask, but i'd be really interested to know the answer.

Thanks!

Posts: 24 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMazy
Activist
Member # 36719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaisyMazy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From my understanding (I'm just a nursing student so it's NOT a professional opinion) Everyone's system is different and while some people need a higher dose of hormones to work with their body chemistry, other people need lower doses of hormones. If you were having negative side effects then it the dose was most likely more then you needed. A lower dose of hormones should not compromise your efficiency if it is what they prescribed. They think about alot of issues when prescribing them( like your weight and if you've had kids etc) and she (or he) will know what doses to try. So these pills would probably still give you the super high efficiency without the side effects. BUT like I said I'm just a beginning nursing student with a long way to go, so it's NOT a medical opinion.
Posts: 74 | From: Austin, Tx | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Close, Morgiana. :)

You're right about different hormone combinations affecting women differently; Google any given birth control pill and you'll find equal pages full of women who like it and do well with it, and those who hate it and want to sue the maker for the horrid side effects. There's so many on the market for a reason!

However, all pills commonly prescribed today ARE "low-dose" by medical standards -- some companies simply tote the fact to try to imply there's fewer side effects, which is misleading. (It's the balance of progestinic, androgenic, and estrogenic qualities in a pill that makes it hard for individual women to find a good match, if you really want to geek it out! For example, women on these newer "ultra low dose" pills often have problems with unscheduled/breakthrough bleeding due the "low estrogen dose" so desireably toted by the ads!). Women of all weights and parity (having a baby or not) will have the same protection from a low-dose pill with the exception of very obese women.

libertinedreamer - These pills will protect you just fine. The pills of yesteryear had up to 100X the amount of certain hormones in them than the pills of today; researchers are constantly finding that lower dosages prevent pregnancy just as easily with reduced incidence of side effects.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMazy
Activist
Member # 36719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaisyMazy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, for the partially incorrect information--should probably finish pharm this semester before I give advice!
Posts: 74 | From: Austin, Tx | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Hey, no biggie. It's complicated stuff, and I only know it because I have nothing better to do than Google most the time. Good luck with your courses, I want to train to be a nurse myself soon. :D)
Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.