Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Donating blood & Birth Control Pills?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Donating blood & Birth Control Pills?
beautifulS0LE
Activist
Member # 33229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beautifulS0LE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on Sprintec for about 5 months now. Today I donated blood for the American Red Cross. Will this change the effectiveness of by birth control pills?
Posts: 51 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
virgin4ever+proudofit
Neophyte
Member # 37779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for virgin4ever+proudofit         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know the exact answer to your question but I just want to say a few facts about birth control (source: A.C. Green's Game Plan Abstinence Program justsayyes.org)
1. True love is not giving sex to people, it's waiting to have it with them after you're married.
2. Sex isn't bad: it's good, that's why you should preserve it after you're married.
3.Birth control/condoms are not effective, even if you have both. With condoms, there's still a risk of STDs and HIV/AIDS. 78% of teen pregnancies are not intended.

Posts: 7 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imposing any sexual choice upon anyone is not acceptable here. Scarleteen is pro-choice and pro-reproductive freedom, and that means not imposing any choice upon any visitor. Abstinence may be for you, and that's great. But it isn't for a good majority, and it's not anyone's place to tell them it's not the choice for them; that's their call alone.

Please desist if you wish to participate here.

And those statistics are absolutely false. Birth control pills are over 99% effective when used correctly, and condoms are 97% effective. Condoms reliably prevent spread of STI's by eliminating contact with infective body fluids -- they're made out of the same material as medical gloves, so find me a source that states those routinely fail and infect healthcare workers. They are not failproof, but to state they are ineffective is misinformation.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woah there...I'm not sure where you're getting your support about birth control and condoms being ineffective, but many many many unbiased scientific studies have shown the opposite to be true. Birth control and condoms are quite effective for individuals in all types of relationships (married or not). Also, please keep in mind that not everybody wants to get married or will get married at any point.

While you are more than welcome to have your own opinions, we ask that you respect the sexual and reproductive choices of others if you intend to participate in this site. We support the choices of all individuals and are invested in providing the most up-to-date, factual information possible to allow them to make the choices that are right for them. While abstaining may be the choice for you, it may not be right for everybody right where they are.

You may find these of interest:
A Calm View from the Eye of the Storm: Hysteria, Youth and Sexuality
About Scarleteen

(Lauren beat me to it!)

beautifulS0LE, donating blood should not have an impact on your birth control pill.

[ 03-31-2008, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beautifulS0LE
Activist
Member # 33229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beautifulS0LE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for the response. So I dont need to worry right?

I come here seeking advice, not a biased opinion. I'm sure myself and other people on this message board would appreciate it if you did not meddle in personal business of others.

Posts: 51 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right, beautifulSoLE, no need to worry.

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BeautifulSOLE, Just an extra tip in case they didn't tell you this... make sure you drink a *lot* of water. It will help you get back to your old self more quickly.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3428 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyMac
Neophyte
Member # 37851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyMac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm fairly certain the Red Cross would tell you up-front if donating would affect pill effectiveness, since it's a common thing. They tell you everything else (they always give me a veritable book of literature), so I'm sure you're fine. I donate blood a lot too [Smile] Go us!
Posts: 7 | From: 45 degrees north latitude | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.