Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » What influences your condom choices?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What influences your condom choices?
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 5 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lately, there seem to be a lot of folks who are concerned because their condoms are not as comfortable as they could/should be. Some have even given up on condoms!

One issue that people seem reluctant to talk about is exactly how they choose their condoms. Do you just buy the first thing you see/hear about? Do you research different brands/styles? Do you try lots of different types? Do you stick with a brand of condoms even after you've decided they're not-so-great?

Check out the following articles for more information about choosing/using condoms:
Your Map to the Condom Aisle
Advice: What's the BEST Condom?
Condom Basics: A User's Manual

Poll Information
This poll contains 12 question(s). 15 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to note an "other" response, "I buy my condoms online" was not an option on the "Where do you buy?" question, so I chose other. :)

I love Durex Extra Sensitives insanely. I actually just reordered when I found out we only had 3 left, even though we tend to go through them very slowly. I just can't imagine using anything the other "cheapies" laying around.

A big factor in my decision to give them a shot was finding out they were rated by consumer reports as the safest and most reliable condom on the market, plus they were thinner. A little research led me to find out they have a more flexible ring size, not larger, which means they can accommodate guys who feel painfully pinched without being too bulky.

( Safesense is my merchant of choice because of their 2.99/10 pack deals. They only rarely offer my type, but you bet I stock up when they do!)

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lauren,

I can't believe I forgot the "online" option on the "Where do you buy?" question. I would have fixed that, but you can't go back and change things once you've made the poll.

We've bought our condoms online for years now too, usually from Condom Express or Condomania (depending upon where we can find our brand since it's out of a bit hard to find). We like the InVigra brand (sometimes they're under the Paradise name).

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertatissacra
Activist
Member # 35773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libertatissacra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually use Durex Extra Senitives as well and like them a lot.

My boyfriend and I sort of experimented with different brands and thicknesses of condoms for a while. We decided right off that neither of us liked the thicker kind. I discovered that spermicidal lubricant is not kind to my vagina, and couldn't find any thin Trojan brand condoms (which, for whatever reason, were what I was convinced was the best and only brand to buy for a while) without spermicidal lubricant, so one day I bought a pack of Durex, simply because they were the only thin condoms I could find without spermicide. I admit, I was a little suspiciou (I think a friend in like 9th grade fed me some line about Durex not being good or something, and it stuck in my mind for whatever reason), so I went online and did a little research and found out that Durex Super Sensitives were actually consistently rated as the safest condoms on the market. They also don't irritate me, and my boyfriend gets plenty of sensation, so everyone wins.

Currently, I usually just buy condoms at the drug store a few blocks down from my apartment, but I'm looking into ordering them online. It's looking like it really would be a lot cheaper, and I'm realising that I really do go through condoms fast enough for it to be a good idea, and one that could save me a lot of money.

--------------------
"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between."
-Oscar Wilde

Posts: 115 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EverTheWild
Neophyte
Member # 20932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EverTheWild     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually have a passionate dislike of Durex generally because I have had bad experiences with them, both breaking and generally irritating my reproductive bits. This is how I pick condoms - I avoid the ones I've had bad experiences with, but I generally try anything and everything until it's proven bad. I have the good fortune of being on a college campus where I can get Durex or Lifestyles from Student Health (depending on what they stock at the moment - and I don't get Durex anymore), a variety of different Lifestyles and Trojans from PRIDE/SPECTRUM/etc, and various promotional condoms particularly colored ones that fit the logo of a group. I like to shake it up.

And I've got a glow-in-the-dark hiding in the drawer for a special occasion.

--------------------
"only love freely given should keep me for her, not the constriction of a marriage tie" -Abelard and Heloise

Posts: 36 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertinedreamer
Neophyte
Member # 37328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libertinedreamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boyfriend and I use completely regular Pasante condoms, just because we can get them free from the family planning clinic and as students we can't really afford the expensive options in the shops!!

Can't say they're anything special but they've done the job so far and with enough lubricant it doesn't matter to either of us what they feel like.

Posts: 24 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wyntermidnite
Activist
Member # 24641

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wyntermidnite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like durex, but I haven't used many other brands. I chose durex for the first condoms I bought because they were the only one that had a mix of different condoms in one package (the pleasure pack). I wanted to try as many types as possible for the least money so they won.

I've pretty much liked them and use them unless i get free ones from college events or a clinic. The extra sensitive ones are very nice, my boyfriend really likes them, though I don't notice that much of a difference. We have had durex break or slip off on very few occasions, but I think that was user error.

Posts: 70 | From: Fullerton, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.