Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » What does your birth control cost?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What does your birth control cost?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some BC prices have been really soaring lately, so I'm curious: what are all of your using birth control paying right now, particularly for hormonal methods?

And if you used to pay less for yours, what was the difference between what you used to pay and what you pay now?

(It'd be helpful to mention, too, if you're insured or not, and if you are insured, if your insurance covers BC or gives you a cut in cost for it.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you mean in the US in particular?

If not... my mom's insurance plan covered my birth control pills 100%, so they were free for me back in March when I was on them still.

However, if I wasn't on my mom's plan, they would have cost me around $15 per month. (Alberta also has a government prescription drug coverage program via Alberta Blue Cross, so if I was to sign up for that, they'd have been up to 60% cheaper.)

[ 11-23-2007, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Leabug ]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reonz
Peer Educator-in-Training
Member # 35313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reonz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have insurance, and the NuvaRing is about $11 for one, but w/o it would be $60-$70
Posts: 34 | From: United States | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mortality
Activist
Member # 35831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mortality     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in Sweden, and I pay 60SEK (bit over 10USD) yearly for hormonal birth control.

But then we pay for health care with tax money so what each individual pays is a fraction of the real cost for it.

Posts: 122 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My aunt is a LNA in an OB/GYN office, so I actually get mine for free from her.

If I were to fill it through my insurance, it would average $10 a month. (I'm on seasonique, and I would get the generic. Anthem BCBS cost for generic/month is $10 for me, so three months worth at a time would be $30) Otherwise, cash price is rediculous, over $100 a pack for the generic.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beckylein
Activist
Member # 33869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beckylein     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pay $5/3 months in the US under my mom's plan. Up in Canada, I'm covered partially under my university health care plan, but it's more expensive. I think it was 18 a month w/out the plan, and then 7ish a month with.

--------------------
"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt; sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth." ~Mark Twain

Posts: 59 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got off the pill, but I took it for three years. Going back through my records for the last year or so, it appears the cost for a three-months supply went up from 20 Euro to € 21.21.

Health insurance here does cover bcp's for girls under 18, though. Which, as a side note, has always bothered me. It seems like everyone here just automatically goes on the pill when they become sexually active and there is never any mention at all of other methods. I had to literally convince my gyn to fit me for a diaphragm and a friend of mine who reacted badly to her pill prescription literally went through four other prescriptions with equally awful results before her gyn decided to have her try the NuvaRing. I mean, it's great that teens have the option to go on the pill for free, but couldn't insurane also cover other methods? /rant

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9187 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mickeh
Neophyte
Member # 33268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My insurance covers the cost of my BC (the patch) entirely. Honestly, I have no idea what it costs normally.
Posts: 34 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ocarina
Neophyte
Member # 32310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ocarina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I paid $15 for my Mirena. Without insurance, it would've been somewhere in the neighborhood of $600.
Posts: 16 | From: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle21
Neophyte
Member # 32532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Under my dad's health care plan (in Alberta), I pay 30cents per pack of bc pills. I'm on the Alesse. Under my university plan, I pay about 5$/3 months. So, overall it's not bad. In high school, i was taking Depo and used the teen clinic, and they charged 20$ per shot, instead of 70$.

--------------------
A man can sleep around, no questions asked, but if a woman makes nineteen or twenty mistakes she's a tramp.

Posts: 14 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elektra13
Neophyte
Member # 34506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elektra13         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My university plan doesn't cover prescriptions, so I pay $50/month for Yasmin, which is a pretty significant portion of my monthly paycheck. I tried switching to something cheaper, but I didn't like it, and it just went up in price too since the drug companies aren't providing birth control to universities at discounts any more.

I really want a Mirena, but my insurance doesn't cover it, and even though you can get them for free, apparently you have to be destitute because I actually make too much money for it (the first time I've ever made too much money for anything). I'm trying to save up the $600, but that's a big chunk of cash.

The whole US health care system is ridiculous, imo.

Posts: 23 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, no kidding on the healthcare system.

FYI, for those of you in the US, this came through my mail from the FMF today:

quote:
Dear Heather,

Take Action Today to restore affordable birth control for college students and low-income women!

Please share this urgent action alert with your friends and family.

We must urge Congress to restore affordable birth control before they adjourn in December. Women cannot wait any longer, as birth control prices remain 2, 3, and even 5 times higher at college health centers and clinics serving low-income women across the country.

Prices have soared because of a provision included in the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005, passed by the old Republican Congress. Take action today: tell Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Senate and all of Congress to act before they adjourn to restore affordable birth control for students and low income women!

The Prevention Through Affordable Access Act to restore affordable birth control prices for university-based and safety-net clinics (S.2347/H.R.4054), has 123 cosponsors in the House and 22 cosponsors in the Senate. There is an opportunity to include this bill in the Medicare physician payment rate bill before Congress adjourns. Join us and urge Congress to restore affordable birth control for students and low-income women now.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Used to get them free from my dad's clinic. Paid $4 per month for them at university. Now I have a job and insurance, so it's $5 per month.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Used to get them free from my dad's clinic. Paid $4 per month for them at university. Now I have a job and insurance, so it's $5 per month.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
run_for_fun
Neophyte
Member # 35377

Icon 1 posted      Profile for run_for_fun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah for me if i decide to go on it. Its $5 from the university as well. But so is alot of medications from the university if not free. I know Nuvaring costs like $20 from them too because my friends on that.

--------------------
Track: run hard, make left turns

Posts: 31 | From: Illinois | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ocarina
Neophyte
Member # 32310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ocarina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
elektra, are you aware of the Mirena payment plan? They have an option for paying in 12 monthly installments, which seems ideal for you since that would be equal to the cost of your Yasmin.

http://www.mirena-us.com/coverage.html

I can't BELIEVE how expensive BCPs are. It's unreal.

Posts: 16 | From: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertatissacra
Activist
Member # 35773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libertatissacra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With insurance, which I get through my dad's work, I pay $20 for my Yaz pills, which would normally be $60.

So, it looks like I don't have as good a deal as some other people, but at least I don't have to pay the full $60.

Healthcare in the States is absolutely ridiculous. I won't even get started on it.

--------------------
"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between."
-Oscar Wilde

Posts: 115 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lily89
Neophyte
Member # 36839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lily89         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pills vary in cost for some reason. I do have insurance, but when I am at home the pills cost me about $25-$30 -- but when I'm at college (one state over) it only costs me $9 to fill my prescription...i dont know why my insurance picks up in other states
I completely agree with the above statement of our ridiculous health care system

Posts: 29 | From: United States | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyMac
Neophyte
Member # 37851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyMac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm taking Necon (a generic pill), which is just about US$30 a month, or $25 with my insurance (I have to get it at a regular pharmacy, since my campus clinic doesn't offer it.) Luckily, my parents' HSA will pay for it!
Posts: 7 | From: 45 degrees north latitude | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyricism
Neophyte
Member # 33401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyricism     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on Depo Provera since October and that cost me about $60 per shot at my student health clinic. I am switching to NuvaRing which without insurance will cost me $47 per month. Both of those are without insurance.
Posts: 3 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on depo-provera for 6 months... With my dad's insurance it costs about 10 dollars (pretty good- 10 dollars every three months) but without it would cost about 60-70 dollars.
Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetcatastr0phe
Activist
Member # 36838

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetcatastr0phe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pay $35/month for Loestrin24Fe
Posts: 64 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summerlove07
Neophyte
Member # 37419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summerlove07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get mine for free from Planned Parenthood :-D
Posts: 30 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lexie
Activist
Member # 29769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lexie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, the US system is really different to ours, as far as I know, having insurance has absolutely nothing to do with the price of birth control, well the pill anyhow, its just *that price* (most are around $25 for 3 months, but if it isn't on PBS, e.g. yasmin its about $60 for 3 months).
If you are a low income earner (but you have to be quite quite low, next to no income) you can get this healthcare card and it reduces it dramatically (I think most come down to about $5 AUD = $4.60 US dollars)

Nuva ring, I'm told is about $30 a month.
What I am on, implanon, cost me about $30, lasts for 3 years, I could have had it inserted for free if I was willing to wait, but I went through a private gynaecologist and that cost me about $70. But the cost of the gyn. visit is partially covered by insurance.

Posts: 76 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aimalicious
Activist
Member # 34100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aimalicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pay $30 for mine every three months, so its $10.00 a pack.

Plus I go to a clinic, therefore I am uninsured on it.

Posts: 144 | From: MA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hana59
Neophyte
Member # 37674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hana59     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get mine for $8 a month at a local family planning clinic.
Posts: 20 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
forgetregretxox
Neophyte
Member # 37421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for forgetregretxox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i live in canada, and i have coverage, but without the coverage, my pills would cose me about $36/month
Posts: 20 | From: ontario, canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citylights
Neophyte
Member # 38764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for citylights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I was on Yaz, I would get it through my university's health care center, and it was $60. I didn't have an insurance card at the time so I couldn't take it to a pharmacy (school doesn't file insurance), so I had no choice unless I wanted to switch pills.

The cheapest BC they offer at school is $16/pk, and that's the generic of Seasonique, which I've started to take (seasonique, not the generic), but I'm going to switch back to Yaz and just take it to the pharmacy with my insurance card.

The thing is, with the generic, it's 3wks of active, then a week of placebo. At the school, they give you two packs and tell you to skip the first pack's placebos, so you go six weeks on actives then a month on placebo. And then charge you $32. Hah.

[ 06-03-2008, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: citylights ]

Posts: 3 | From: Vancouver, WA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beehive
Neophyte
Member # 38767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beehive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm British so my IUD was free on the National Health service, I didn't have to pay for anything [Big Grin] And when I took the pill it was the same. The only contraception I've ever paid for is condoms, and I could have got them free too- every time I go to the family-planning clinic they give me a big handful, but my boyfriend didn't like the brand.

The idea of paying for cotraceptives- and getting them free because you know people who work in clinics!!- seems so weird to me. Choosing the right kind of contraception is so difficult, I can't imagine having to factor in cost as well when you decide. Sorry if I sound smug.

Posts: 12 | From: London, England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kindascared     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont have insurance and my pills are around $55 a month, not including the $200 to $250 for my papsmear. However, In louisana, they started a Take Charge program, which is like medicare for strictly gyn visits. It covers BC, up to 4 visits a year, and any bloodwork that you may need. So I applied for this. Im still wating to hear back!
Posts: 127 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thepurplepoet
Neophyte
Member # 37958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thepurplepoet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm from Canada, and I pay 22$ a month for combination pills out of pocket. (I'm not using my family's health coverage for this)

--------------------
~*~Have you been half-asleep, and have you heard voices?~*~

Posts: 17 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inferi
Neophyte
Member # 29171

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Inferi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is $18.20 currently, and'll be going up to $23 in a few weeks.
Posts: 29 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Just to let everyone who is taking Yasmin know: It just went generic in the US--the generic name is Ocella)

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah. I was wondering why my pharmacy has been giving me the generic. The price is no different than the name brand, though. I paid a little over $12 for Yasmin two months ago, and now I'm paying $12.10 for Ocella. When I started taking Yasmin 3 years ago, it was barely $8. The cost has been steadily rising since then.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HoneyLuv3
Activist
Member # 38877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HoneyLuv3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have insurance and for one month of yaz its 48.95, whereas it used to be 15.

--------------------
Love is not about finding the right person, but creating a right relationship. It's not about how much love you have in the beginning but how much love you build till the end...

Posts: 81 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.