Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » How should a condom fit?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How should a condom fit?
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 8 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I sometimes engage in mutual masturbation, and we recently bought condoms to make clean up a heck of a lot easier and as an extra precaution (we do wash our hands thoroughly before and after). I did some research on size and whatnot, and we bought Trojan Supras, which I read were a bit roomier than regular sized condoms (and non-latex; I'm just not crazy about the smell). However, when we put it on (sorry for being a bit graphic here) it fit like a sausage casing, and we could barley roll it all the way down. Although he insisted the condom wasn't at all uncomfortable (it looked almost painful!), it was annoying and a little frustrating because it wouldn't stay on [Mad] (to clarify, width is the issue, not length) We don't want to give up on condoms; is that how they are supposed to fit? I was thinking that maybe getting a larger size latex condom would nicer for both of us (I've heard latex can be stretchier). Suggestions? Thoughts? [Confused]

Also, I've noticed the K-Y jelly we use as lube dries up within a few minutes. Should we just use more--we don't skimp as it is--or try something else? Kinda long post with a lot of questions, sorry! [Razz]

--------------------
I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty. --John Waters

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bump

--------------------

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Sorry this got overlooked, SnailShells!)

Well, regular condoms (unless you get ones that are labeled as having extra room at the head/top) are generally pretty snug all the way along. When it comes to fit problems, generally the problem is with the ring size. So if your partner is feeling like the condom is cutting off circulation, then I'd say you probably need a condom with a larger ring size. If you look at online condom retailers, many of them will list the dimensions of the different condoms so that you can get an idea of exactly how large each brand and type are and can compare. When you apply a condom, you should feel a little bit of resistance. It's a little bit like putting on a sock or a pair of pantyhose. If your foot slid right in with no problem, then the sock would probably never stay on in your shoe. The same thing is true with a condom. If it rolled on too easily and there was no stretch, it'd never stay on during activity. But as long as your partner is not having pain with the condom, then there's really likely no need for a larger condom. You may just need another type or brand. They really are all cut differently and sometimes it takes trying a few to find something you both like. When you say it wouldn't stay on, how do you mean? Was it rolling up or sliding down? What exactly was the deal? Usually when you're having problems with condoms staying on, it's either not applied correctly to begin with or it's too large (not too small).

As to your second question, KY jelly is not the best lube out there to use for sex. Quite honestly, I think it may be one of the worst because of exactly the problem you described. If you want to stick with the KY brand, try one of the liquids rather than the jelly. Stay away from any of the fancy ones though (no warming, tingling, numbing, etc.). Plain is best (oh, and no flavored lubes if you're going to use it for anything other than oral). There are also many other brands of lube available. Many folks around here are big fans of Astroglide, which is also usually available in drugstores. Some people like the Wet brand. It's probably best to stay with a basic water-based lube (at least to start). Silicone lubes (like Pjur Eros Bodyglide, for example) are also condom safe, but some people found find that they can encourage yeast infections though and they are often more expensive. Just like with condoms, you may have to experiment around with different types of lube to find one that you and your partner like best.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(thanks for the response! I realize you guys don't have excessive time or help [Smile] )

I'm sure the ring size was too small; there was more than a little resistance putting it on. Plus it would only roll down about 4/5ths of the shaft (the length was fine, but as I said, the ring was tight), and would scrunch with friction. We'll definately try some other lubes (and yeah, I've heard horror stories about the warming stuff) and condoms, thanks very much for the help!

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.