Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » best decision of birth control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: best decision of birth control
killerDOTcom
Neophyte
Member # 28598

Icon 5 posted      Profile for killerDOTcom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK,
Last year in FLE I was given (at some point in the class) a handout outlining the success of different types of birth control, and first I would like to know if they are accurate; I have read some parts of Scarleteen's articles and they seem to disagree.
These results are based on the method being used correctly; condoms put on correctly and pills being taken on schedule.

Method/%against pregnancy/%against std's
Condom: 78% 98%
Birth Control Pill : 99% 0%
Condom (with spermicide) 98% 98%

The reason I doubt these so much is because of all the advice I see that encourages the use of condoms-- I hardly see anything suggesting the use of the pill, which seems to be the best at protecting against pregnancy (which is my primary concern; i've been tested for STD's and i think i'm clean).

I've gone through several relationships since I last posted and on my current one my girlfriend and i are just starting to talk about sex. She seems comfortable with using the pill after going through FLE class with me, she has told me that she's clean as well and I obviously trust her.

She has said that she is fine with starting the pill next month, take it for all of November, and then we can start having sex over the holidays.

The most we've done together is sleep together on the couch, but we've had no intercourse from it, just cuddling and watching movies, etc.

My real question is: would the pill be worth it? is it really more effective at stopping pregnancy than condoms?

We talked yesterday about some of our beliefs concerning sex and this is what we came up with-
Neither of us want to engage in oral sex
Both of us are not strictly religous
Neither of us have had actual intercourse
We want to tell our parents about it slowly, not just come out and say we're having sex but both of us want to get to know the other's parents a little better before we speak so openly about it.

--------------------
STFU n00b!
~ kthx

Posts: 8 | From: Virginia | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both the pill and condoms are highly effective at preventing pregnancy when used correctly. However, when it comes to STIs, trust is nowhere near as reliable as getting tested. In fact we recommend two tests, six months apart before having sex without condoms.

I'm going to move this to Safer Sex & and Birth Control since it doesn't really have anything to do with sexual orientation or identity.

--------------------
I would have girls regard themselves not as adjectives but as nouns. --Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CondomMan
Activist
Member # 32823

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CondomMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That 78% number as far as condoms effective against pregnancy seems a bit off. The numbers I've heard most often, and agree with, is that during a year of typical condom use, 14 out of 100 women will become pregnant. During a year of perfect condom use, that number drops to 3 out of 100 women becoming pregnant. So education is an important part of condom use and as such the numbers can vary greatly. But I've never seen a number as high as 22%.

--------------------
Condoms Rock!

Posts: 52 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakgirl
Neophyte
Member # 31598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jakgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another point about pills is that they're a backup, which is always nice to have, especially if you're not used to condoms - they're easy, but I know that with my boyfriend, at least, there was a definite learning curve. So, speaking from personal experience, as long as the pills are available and affordable, they're worth trying. Worst-case scenario: the side effects are problematic, and she quits them, leaving you with lots of other options for birth control.

I think the reason condoms are so heavily advertised is that they're birth control for the guy, who really doesn't have the strong monthly reminders that pregnancy is a possibility, or as many options to act to prevent it. Women and girls can use half a dozen methods - guys are limited to condoms and vasectomies. Or abstinence. Which rather defeats the point.

Posts: 10 | From: West Coast | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.