Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Are Condoms The Only "True" Way

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are Condoms The Only "True" Way
Castaway
Activist
Member # 28219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Castaway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking a little. Why is it that birth control pills cause permanent side effects like infertility? Why are pills still used even if people know of it's terrible side effects? And more importantly, why do people prefer the pill over condoms?

I know that based on the type of material the condom is made of, it's 80-90% chance of success with latex material. I may be wrong, since I haven't had sex before. But condoms do not cause such side-effects like some birth control pills, but why is it that pills are more popular?

Posts: 89 | From: Somewhere in dreamland.... | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no evidence that BCPs cause permanent infertility. None.

The side effects of the pill vary based on dosages and the individual taking them. Some women experience little to no side effects on a given pill -- some even only experience positive side effects -- others do experience negative side effects, and for some patients, taking the pill at all is inadvisable.

One big reason a lot of women prefer a hormonal contraceptive to condoms is that methods like the pill don't require the cooperation of partners: some men aren't cooperative about condoms or willing to use consistently. Another common reason is because when taken properly, most hormonal methods are more effective than condoms. And some women take the pill for reasons that have nothing to do with birth control at all.

Condoms CAN also be very effective: almost as effective in perfect use as the pill when used consistently and correctly. And obviously, unlike hormonal methods, condoms don't carry side effects and also prevent STI transmission (which is why lots of people use condoms with a hormonal method).

Ultimately, there really is no one method of birth control that is the rightest one for everyone, and while I'd have to double check, I'm not sure the pill IS actually used more than condoms, besides. But regardless, birth control methods are ultimately all about what works best -- in terms of effectiveness, ease of use -- which includes cooperation from partners, side effects, etc. -- for the one given person using any one given method.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Castaway
Activist
Member # 28219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Castaway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So does it depend on the type of pill that the woman uses, or is it based on the type of woman in which causes positive/negative effects? Also, I still am not sure if I have STDs or HIV, neither does my partner, and we are teenagers still...
Posts: 89 | From: Somewhere in dreamland.... | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't matter if you're sure about STIs or not: the ONLY way to reduce the risk of them if you're going to be sexually active is to practice safer sex -- that's latex barriers, screenings and lifestyle issues -- for at least six months before going without condoms. And age isn't a factor in reduced risks: in fact, the group with the highest number of new STI cases every year are those 16-22, so being a teen only elevates those risks (and for teen women, long-term risks of STIs are greater because of incomplete cervical development).

Per the pill and effects, what effects are experienced depends BOTH on the woman taking them and her individual body chemistry and health issues AND on what pill she's taking.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Castaway
Activist
Member # 28219

So basically right now the only safe thing is to use a condom?
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Condoms CAN also be very effective: almost as effective in perfect use as the pill when used consistently and correctly. And obviously, unlike hormonal methods, condoms don't carry side effects and also prevent STI transmission (which is why lots of people use condoms with a hormonal method).
Keep in mind though, BCPs are not necessarily unsafe. If they were unsafe, i'm sure that no where near as many women would be using them. As Heather said, it all depends on the woman taking them. Every one is different, and everyone reacts differently to different things.

Condoms are great because you can just use them when the time is right. You don't have to worry about taking a pill at the same time every day for a set period of time before you are protected from getting pregnant. Ease of use, along with the STI prevention, does make them a good choice.

Here's a handy article on condom use, just in case:
Condom Basics: A Users' Manual

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I want to make sure you understood me: in terms of STI risks and safer sex, the only way to play it safe is to use condoms and other safer sex practices for at least six months of any new sexual relationship.

So, per STIs, no, hormonal birth control is of no help. But that isn't to say BCPs are unsafe (nor do women dealing with side effects of BCPs make them unsafe): they're just not helpful in terms of STIs.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.