Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Birth Control pill question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control pill question
Wolfhaven
Neophyte
Member # 34262

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Wolfhaven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably a pretty common question, but has anyone ever had problems with birth control pill side effects? I recently (just this week)started taking The Pill, and I'm finding that the side effects are really bad, particularily the nausea. Since I only just started taking it, I know my body's still trying to adjst, but just how much nausea/vomitting is normal? I'm finding that I'm constantly nauseous and that too much movement/driving in a car/riding in elevators/etc are causing me to vomit. Today, I had to throw up during school in the morning, and ended up going home. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to help with the nausea?

Thanks so much!

Posts: 4 | From: Ontario | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is common to experience side effects such as nausea when first beginning the pill, but it sounds like you're having too rough a time. It could be that the particular pill you're on is just not a good match for your body- I'd get in to your doctor and report your side effects, and see if they suggest switching to a different brand. (And it's a good plan anyway, to rule out other causes of nausea such as a stomach bug!)

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfhaven
Neophyte
Member # 34262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfhaven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks alot...that's what I was thinking. I was just wondering though...I've been taking my pill first thing in the morning, right when I get up right before school...since I like to sleep in I never have time to eat breakfast, so I've been taking it on an empty stomache. Could that be part of the problem?
Until today, I've been getting up later too - around 11 in the morning,. and taking my pill then. Since I took my pill at 7 this morning, I think maybe yesterday's pill was not entirely out of my system when I took today's...does this sound plausible? By noon today I started feeling much better, (still nauseous, but not really in danger of throwing up for the most part)so I'm guessing that that was about the time of day that the pill from yesterday worked its way out of my system.
Obviously, I'm a first time pill user, so I'm kind of just guessing at what's wrong. I'm taking Linessa, which is a mid-level strength pill (25micrograms of estrogen) and is supposed to be pretty well tolerated by most people.
I think I'll wait out the rest of the week before I see the doctor about the nausea, but in the mean time, is there anything I can do to reduce the nausea/vomittng?

Posts: 4 | From: Ontario | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you go to bed at a fairly more regular time than when you wake up? If so, it's likely a good option to switch to taking the pill before bed to keep the level of hormones more steady. In fact, this is often recommended to women with nausea/vomiting with the pill. Taking the pill with a few crackers or a bit of milk and then going to sleep can not only reduce stomach upset, but usually allows you to sleep through the worst of the nausea.

Just make sure that if you're changing your pill time, you use a backup method for the full first month to sustain effectiveness, which is normally recommended anyway. [Smile]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfhaven
Neophyte
Member # 34262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfhaven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot Miss Lauren - I've been wondering if it might be better for me to take my pill before bed instead. The problem is that I tend to go to bed at irregular times...but I've heard of girls setting alarms on their phones for a certain time to remind them, so I might just do that and change my time.
This is my first month on the pill anyway, so we're being careful to use condoms anyway, so the back-up method is no problem. Would it be better to change my time at the end of my pill pack or mid-cycle, though? The nasea seems to be its worse in the morning, then by the end of the day it gets much better, and I don't know if I want to change my time mid-cycle...is that safe, assuming I use a back-up birth control method for that month?

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're using a backup method, no problemo whatsoever. It's just as a cautionary measure, since this is your first month and all. [Smile]

I've set my cell phone to go off at night, and I've only very rarely taken one late! If you find taking the pill at night doesn't quell the nausea, you can take an over-the-counter motion sickness medication (I think it's sold under the brand Gravol in Canada..) about an hour or so before you take the pill, and it should prevent most the accompanying sickness.

Of course, if the none of these measures help or it gets worse, definitely get into the doc to make sure it's not something other than the pill. Feel better!

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleMissSunshine
Activist
Member # 33438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleMissSunshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My BCP has been known to cause some nausea as well, and I have had success with taking it at night.

This may seem odd, but I've found that Peppermint oil (grade A, natural oils only, not the "fake" aromatic types mixed with alcohol) on the bottoms of the feet and behind the ears helps with nausea. Just plain old tummy-aches and digestive problems too [Smile]

Posts: 64 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jennie
Neophyte
Member # 34575

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jennie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive been on birth control since I was 15, so about 7 years now. The first pill I took caused me to have really bad mood swings and depression, so I talked to my doctor and had it switched.. no problems with that since then! If after a week you are still vomiting, definitely go see your doctor, many women find they dont do well on a certain type of pill and it should be no problem getting it switched.

I take my pill every night when I go to bed, sometimes I go to bed at 10 pm, sometimes I go to bed at 5 am... I dont worry about the exact time I take it, as long as its right before bed. My specific birth control's information pamphlet says to wait 2 weeks before relying on the pill when you miss one and have to take 2 in one day or make any changes. Make sure you read yours thoroughly.

I usually dont have problems with nausea taking the pill before bed, only if I wake up in the middle of the night or if I dont get at least 5 hours of sleep. To reduce the nausea I usually have a couple pieces of bread and fruit and then I go back to sleep if possible.

Remember that if you vomit within 7 hours of taking the pill you will need to take another one to replace it.. however if you are just starting out I would not worry about it, just use a backup method until you have your routine down, the nausea under control, and have waited the specified amount of weeks. Hope this helps and good luck [Smile]

[ 07-06-2007, 05:29 AM: Message edited by: Jennie ]

Posts: 5 | From: Maine | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Jennie, the body will absorb a pill within a couple hours after taking it. So, even if a pill user were to vomit say 3-7 hours after taking the pill, there would be no reason she would need to take a replacement. Most pill pamphlets will recommend taking a replacement only if a user vomits within two hours after taking it.

Also? A user only has a three hour window maximum within to take her birth control pill every day - beyond that, the pill could become less effective, especially if the pill time is very irregular (so, the window between 10 p.m. - 5 a.m. is much too wide for the pill to be working completely effectively; ideally you want to be taking the pill at the same time each night).

[ 07-06-2007, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: dailicious ]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.