Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » depression after orgasm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: depression after orgasm
this_girl05
Neophyte
Member # 24176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for this_girl05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really know what is wrong with me. When I was with my boyfriend we decided to take it to the next level and started having oral sex. I was suprised at how much I actually enjoyed it, and I actually did have an orgasm many times. The only thing is is that right after, I mean immediatly, after I would orgasm I would feel this huge wave of this depression like feeling come over me. I just wanted to curl up and go to sleep and I wanted to stop in all sexual activity whatsoever. I don't know why, it is like I couldn't control it. Is this normal, or is ther something else causing it? I know that I will become sexually active with my current boyfriend, and I don't want this to hinder our relationship. I am a little worried to do anything with him for fear that this might return again.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pointlessdayz
Neophyte
Member # 33403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pointlessdayz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok, so I'm not exactly the biggest expert (or anywhere NEAR an expert) on this subject... But what I think you are feeling is a huge relaxation of the muscles in your body. When you orgasm, your muscles (specifically the ones in your pelvic region) contract, and then release as you come. So maybe it's depression, but just your body coming down off that high. Also, I don't think that there's anything wrong with you, it's just the way that you experience an orgasm.

Hope that helped!

-Alex

--------------------
here's to the nights you felt alive, here's to the tears you knew you'd cry, here's to good bye, tomorrow's gonna come too soon

Posts: 3 | From: AZ | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not just about muscles, either.

The larger issue is that when orgasm causes chemical changes in the body, releasing endorphins -- which are basically nature's sedatives -- oxytocin, and dopamine levels also drop. In short, you're dealing with a significant chemical change that usually makes a person feel sleepy, very relaxed, and sometimes, kind of emotionally clingy.

None of those things are depression, but they can feel kind of heavy.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennymac
Neophyte
Member # 39912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennymac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think its hard for people to understand what this_girl05 is talking about if you haven't experienced it yourself. i feel the same way. i have depression after i orgasm, right away. its not simply a heavy feeling that the two of us are mistaking for depression (at least, speaking for myself, its not). it is depression.

the chemical changes that the body goes through after an orgasm are known to not only make someone relaxed, but to give their mood a boost. sex, laughter, and exercise are all prescribed by some doctors to help treat depression because the affects are often as potent as an antidepressant.

so this question interests me as well. why would sex have the opposite affect and cause depression in someone?

if i'm not mistaken, there is a term for this phenomenon. i think its called post orgasmic depression. not sure though. i tried researching it a while back, but i haven't been able to find out much.

this_girl05, you didn't mention how often you had sex with your boyfriend, but in my experience, the depression doesn't happen every time. i'm 26, i've been with my fiance for 6, almost 7, years. from the beginning, its been unclear how i would feel afterward. my fiance and i work through it though. [Smile]

[ 08-19-2008, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: jennymac ]

Posts: 1 | From: lex, ky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.