Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Question on birth Control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question on birth Control
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Ortho-Tri-Cyclin 28

If i were to take the first three groups of 7 pills and then skip the 4th group (the white pills that let me have my period) and jump to the first set of 7 pills and skip my period.. how harmful is that.

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'd do best talking to your doctor before trying that. Triphasic pills have varying hormone levels by week that work together to prevent pregnancy; interupting that order may compromise your protection during the next cycle.

Too, you'll have an increased risk of break-through spotting/light bleeding during the next pack due that setup. So if your doctor gives you the go-ahead and you don't mind this likelihood, go for it.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stila
Neophyte
Member # 30611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm also currently taking Ortho TriCyclen 28. But the green pills in my package are the sugar./placebo pills and the while pills in my package are those that are to be taken during the first week of my pack. Just make sure you are taking the pills in the correct order!
Posts: 39 | From: Montreal | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stila
Neophyte
Member # 30611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry i meabt the white pills have hormones ib them
Posts: 39 | From: Montreal | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
true blue
Neophyte
Member # 33410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for true blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm taking Marvelon 28, and my doctor told me that the final 7 were placebo pills and were only used for reminders of when to start the next pack. She told me that it is okay to just throw them out because they in fact do nothing.

--------------------
if you're not willing to risk, there are no rewards

Posts: 3 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True Blue- just so you know, Marvelon is a monophasic pill, which means that each pill has the same level of hormones in it. Ortho TriCyclen is a triphasic pill, so there are three different levels of hormones for 3 weeks, THEN the placebos. In this case, skipping a period can change the effectiveness of the pill, and does need to be checked with a doctor- it's not as simple as with a monophasic pill.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Also, just to clear something up - I believe what true blue is saying is that her doctor said it doesn't matter if a person takes the placebo pills during the seven days in-bewteen pill packs, which is true. A woman can take her seven day break between pill packs without needing to take any of the placebo pills.

The original post was discussing skipping a placebo week ENTIRELY, moving straight from one pack of pills into the next, to attempt to skip a monthly withdrawl bleed.)

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.