Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » I have a question about the sponge.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I have a question about the sponge.
LuckySoFar
Neophyte
Member # 29004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuckySoFar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question about the sponge. My boyfriend and I have tried to use the sponge a few times and it broke, right in two. We followed the instructions, and the sponge was very damp. My cervix protrudes pretty far out and his penis is longer then I am deep, I don't know if that had anything to do with it. I'm on the pill but we want to us another form of birth control just to be safe. We have both been tested and we have been together for over a year and I'd really like to use some kind of spermicide, because it's really hard to find condoms in the right size. What kind of other over the counter options are out there for spermicide? Do you know why the sponge broke?

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 10 | From: somewhere in Northern Virginia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be frank: I'm not a sponge fan. Not only are they SO messy, their effectiveness rating isn't even that good with perfect use. Per why it broke, I really don't know: could have been on the shelf past an expiry date, who knows. Like I said, not a method I generally recommend.

(I'd also ask youyr GYN about the cervix issue, too: likely, your cervix doesn't protrude any more than anyone elses, and when we're fully aroused, everyone's cervix pulls back. It's always helpful to know if we just don't have an issue we think we do.)

That said, flatly, if you want backup with the pill, condoms really are the best and easiest bet (and a really nice way for you and a partner to share responsibility, rather than you dealing with side effects from more than one method). Ring sizes do vary and if your partner needs a bigger ring size (length is never an issue: a standard length condom will stretch over a forearm, which no penis is larger than), trhat's easy-peasy. Or, if spermicide is what you want, you can just add tube-based spermicide when you have intercourse (also what's used with diaphragms, if you want to look into those as a backup option): this is also available over the counter.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LuckySoFar
Neophyte
Member # 29004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuckySoFar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you.
Posts: 10 | From: somewhere in Northern Virginia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.