Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » pregnancy risk/stopping the pill.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pregnancy risk/stopping the pill.
steph.
Neophyte
Member # 30141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steph.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i want to stop the pill, it is making me mentally and physically sick. i have a few more pills before the end of this pack... i've had sex without condoms in the past few days. if i stop taking it now, could there be a pregnancy risk? should i just wait a few more days?
Posts: 24 | From: canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd suggest you try your best to finish out this pack, then stop taking them and not continue on. It'll be the least confusing to your body in terms of not having a lot of side effects or wonkiness as you stop, and although I'd say it's unlikely it would present a pregnancy risk, it's always best to be safe, and finishing out your pack would ensure that you would not have a pregnancy risk from your recent sxual axctivity.

And in the meantime, stock up on condoms and lubricant [Smile] hope stopping the pill helps and you feel better!

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julialane64
Neophyte
Member # 27172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for julialane64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mom found the pack of pills in my wallet the other night. I had around 6 pills left. She confiscated it and wants me to see a gynecologist on Wednesday. Thing is, I told her it's to regulate my period (which is partly true because sometimes I get it in less that 18 days and I don't get PMS). Apparently, she doesn't believe me. Since she confiscated it, I haven't drank pills cos the gyne might detect it more.

1) What will the doctor do/ask me?
2) Will she find out easily if I've been having sex with my boyfriend?
3) The day my mom saw the pack was the day I first had sex with my boyfriend where he actually came inside me. What are my chances of getting pregnant?

Oh and last night, I was so dizzy, I wanted to throw up. I've been feeling nauseous lately. Could it be the pill or could it be that I'm pregnant?

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on what your mother is having you go in for.

If it's just a yearly checkup, it will be much like a regular doctor's appointment. The doctor will likely perform a pelvic exam and Pap smear; no biggie all around.

A health professional is hopefully educated enough to know that you CAN'T tell whether somebody's had sex at a glance.

You have the right as a patient to see the doctor without your mom present. They also can't tell your mom anything if you say you want to keep it private; this is the law.

So, why not take advantage of your right to confidentiality by getting checked for STI's, as well as discussing your options for other birth control methods besides the pill?

(Dizziness that causes nausea, by the way, isn't a common side effect of either the pill or pregnancy. This is likely a different medical problem that you need to see your primary care provider about. It could be something as simple as an ear infection.)

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julialane64
Neophyte
Member # 27172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for julialane64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I ask my mom to leave the room, she's going to be really suspicious. When I told her I was taking the pills because my period was irregular, she said she was confiscating the pills and we'd have to go to the gynecologist on Wednesday. My friend who's a med student said, she'll probably ask me about my period, etc etc then she'll do some tests. I just don't know what.

Anyway, just last Tuesday, I was in school and my head, hands, and feet numbed and I almost fainted. I told my mom that and so we went to the doctor to see if my heart, blood, blood sugar, and brain are okay. The tests turned out to be fine. I still get nauseous nevertheless.

EDIT. I took a home pregnancy test twice and they both turned out to be negative. Can gynecologists really find out if I had sex with my boyfriend almost a week ago or something to that effect?

[ 11-25-2006, 02:05 AM: Message edited by: julialane64 ]

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No OB/GYN will be able to tell you have had intercourse.

Honestly, it sounds to me as though there are other forces at work that are making you sick besides the pill.

Other than that, though, we encourage honesty with one's parental units. Chances are your mom already has inklings that you are sexually active, and it doesn't do any good lying to her if she already has figured it out. Best bet is to talk to her about it, b/c although she may not like it, she may be able to help you out.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julialane64
Neophyte
Member # 27172

Thanks so much! What relief! Anyway, last question, I promise. As of today, I've missed three pills already since the start of the third week of my active pills. Should I finish the pack under a late sched, drink three pills immediately and follow the original sched, forget about the three pills and follow the original schedule, or stop it completely? I'm planning to stop for a month anyway.
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you've missed three pills, follow the directions that came in the informational packet with the pills -- usually they just recommend that you stop taking the pills, wait until you get your period, and then start again. If you're planning to stop for a month, then just take your break now (use backup methods, obviously), then start again when your period comes.
Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.