Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Pharamacy wouldn't give me generics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pharamacy wouldn't give me generics
pierceme05
Activist
Member # 19530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pierceme05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I've started college again I was hoping to switch to generic birth control (why pay $35 when you can pay $5... that's just insane!). Anyway, I am usually on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, went off for a month, change insurance companies, was given Tri-sprintec (a generic form of ortho tri cyclen since the lo brand doesn't have a generic), the next month was given OTC Lo again, and that leads me to the other day. I asked the pharamacy if I could get the generic kind instead and she said NOOOO because otc lo doesn't not have a generic brand so I can only get the EXPENSIVE name brand. I suppose I understand this but I don't get why they gave me the generic before but not when I want it. It sucks that my doctor is too busy for me untill january (yeah I haven't seen him in about two yrs by then but the office keeps pushing back my appointment) so I wouldn't be able to switch to a brand that has a generic substitute. Anyway, can the pharamacy do that? They can give me generics when I don't want it, but when I do they won't?

Ughhhh!

Posts: 55 | From: MA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you go to a community clinic that offers sexual health services/ a Planned Parenthood? Not seeing your doctor for two years isn't a good thing, and yearly gynecological exams are especially important on hormonal birth control.

Too, you can tell them your situation and ask them to prescribe regular Tri-Cyclen. There's very little difference between the two; the low version is just newer, so more doctors are pressured to prescribe it.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure where you're in college, but have you tried the student health center? Many (if not most) of them offer BC at a lower cost to students. At my undergrad university, we paid $5 a pack for name brand as long as you filled it at the health center. At my current university, it's $10-$15 a pack, depending upon your brand. So I'd start there.

Also, have you called your doctors office and let them know that the cost of the name brand is a problem? Often you can call and talk to a nurse or medical assistant and get your Rx changed (at least for the moment) so that the finances won't be so difficult.

Finally, do understand that they can't give you a generic if there isn't one. In fact, if the pharmacy gives you a medication that is NOT what your doctor prescribed (or a generic version of the prescribed med), they can get in trouble. That month where you got the generic for the OTC, it's likely that one of two things happened...either somebody screwed up at the pharmacy OR they didn't have the Lo, so they called the doctors office and asked if it was okay to substitute for this one month so that there would be something to give you.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.