Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Low Dose Pills for light people?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Low Dose Pills for light people?
Stila
Neophyte
Member # 30611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that you can only take the lower dose birth control pills (i.e Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and aleese) if I am lighter framed (i.e less thatn 130 lbs). If I am heavier, it is best for me to take a regular dosage for the pill to be more effective. Is this true?
Posts: 39 | From: Montreal | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
The hormones in birth control are steroidal, they are fat-soluble. So if you have a high enough proportion of fat in your body, the hormones will dissolve into the fat instead of reaching the target organ (ovaries, uterus). Therefore, it would reduce the medication's efficacy. So that means it would be better to use a pill with an higher dose.

But I doubt this is really something to be concerned about if you're an healthy weight.

By the way, it is not really based on weight but more on percentage of body fat. See, a women with a high body weight can still have a low body fat percentage !

The best thing to do would be to address your concerns to your doctor and you can both discuss what option is best for you. Does that sound okay to you ?

[ 09-18-2006, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stila
Neophyte
Member # 30611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks your reply, it definitely helped to clarify things. Right now I only see my boyfriend during the holidays since we go to different colleges. Would it be wise / worth starting birth control pills just for sex on the holidays? Or would it be better for my body to start during the summer months ?

And.. are birth control pills more commonly used for couples who see each other regularly? (i.e Is it uncommon for couples in a long-distance relationship for the girl to star the pill)?

Thanks

Posts: 39 | From: Montreal | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
It's important to know that you have to have been on a full cycle of your pills first before you can start to rely on the pill as a contraceptive method. So you can't just start taking the pill a day or two in the holidays before having sex. It takes a while for your body to adjust to the hormones that are in the pill.

Birth control pills are not intended to a type of women in particular. There's women who use them as a birth control pill and there's even women who use them not for sex protection but more to like reduce their menstrual cramps or something like that. They can be used for a lot of things.So that means you can use them for long-distance relationship. If you want to double your birth control protection it's up to you. I can't tell you if there's a lot of people who does that. It's your decision and looking at numbers just wouldn't help.

P.S. I hope you know birth control pills does not protect you against STD and therefore you intend to use a condom in addition to your birth control pill.

[ 09-19-2006, 05:16 AM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DemeterA
Activist
Member # 31674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemeterA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I weigh only 82 pounds and i just began Yaz. Is this low-dose? Or should I get switched to Ortho Tri Cyclen lo, etc??
Posts: 43 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your doctor will have considered your weight when prescribing you a pill, so there's no need to be concerned you're on the right one unless you have had an extensive change in your weight since it was prescribed.

Really, nearly ALL BCPs are low-dose anymore.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.